What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Running low in AS5 thermal compound... what cha got?

justmehereajax

I am building PCs again and my big tube of AS5 is almost done.

Should I buy AS5 again?
Looking for a large tube of Thermal Compound.
Where to buy? What recommendations?

sswilson

Staff member
I haven't seen any real reason to switch from my trusty MX-4. It may not be top rated, but it's decent and super easy to work with.

Bond007

Mx4 if you want solid performance, cheap price, and easy application.

If you don’t mind a higher price there are other options that will shave a few degrees off.

Izerous

Folding Team
I did some tests I think it was between AS5, MX4 and NT H1 if memory serves me correctly. I recall that AS5 still came out on top by about 0.5-1'c. It is however electrically conductive and easy to screw up a computer with compared to newer pastes so in the end I did still end up using the NT H1 moving forward. Years ago i did have a dead 939? board due to paste getting into the socket because someone was clumsy.

JD

Staff member
I haven't used AS5 in a really long time. Most EK blocks come with Kryonaut though, so I've been using that. Also have a bunch of NT-H1 from the Noctua heatsinks I buy as well...so I haven't really bought any thermal paste in quite a while.

MX4 would be my go-to though if I was to buy since its relatively cheap and non-conductive. I think Coolmaster had some new-ish ones out too if you can find them.

Izerous

Folding Team
I found where i wrote the results on the DazMode forums a while ago it was AS5 vs MX4 NT H1 wasn't part of the results so I don't recall why I have a tube of it now.

So I just took my last readings for AS5 vs MX-4 on the CPU-360...

My testing process was as follows using prime95 for loading and only showing 1 window on desktop to ensure I'm not adding inconsistent heat from GPUs
-15min @100% fan speed full load (ignore results)
-15min @100% fan speed idle (ignore results)

-15min @100% fan speed full load take measurement
-15min @100% fan speed idle take measurement

-15min @40% fan speed full load take measurement
-15min @40% fan speed idle take measurement

Temperature below = delta above ambient (or at least what I used to record ambients)
@100% Fan Speed
AS5
Idle: 2.8'c
Load: 13.8'c

MX-4
Idle: 2.8'c
Load: 14.3'c

@40% Fan Speed
AS5
Idle: 4.8'c
Load: 17.0'c

MX-4
Idle: 4.8'c
Load: 17.5'c

In short for what I did they are equivalent products at idle however under full load I was able to see upwards of 0.5'c difference in favor of good ol' capacitive AS5. However with two 6990's being in the same loop, and a radiator as big as the one I have there is always some margin of error. But running the tests multiple times I got pretty consistent results.

I later ran a test of a CPU-380 + MX4 but not CPU-380 + AS5

Ok so MX4 + CPU-380 and to be honest I ended up running prime95 for 30 minute cycles instead of 15 minutes because I simply didn't believe the temperature read outs.

100% Fan Speed
Idle: 2.1'c
Load: 9.7'c

40% Fan Speed
Idle: 4.3'c
Load: 12.8'c

I didn't break 30'c when the fans were on full and under full load.

Latest posts