What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RX 480 fan controler problem?

Shadowmeph

Finally got my Rx 480 installed it I ran a simple benchmark the temperature went up to around 72c . I stopped the bench mark watched a few Videos off the PC looked at the temperature *( this is about 2 hrs later) temperature was still around 72c the rest of my system is around 42c . I looked at the fan speed and it shows running at 19% not sure what is up with that . I installed the newest Drivers from AMD just right after I did the install.
Any one have any suggestions? I am currently using Open hardware manager to manually turn the Fan up to cool the vid card down

Dragonstongue

you installed newest drivers from AMD, did you do a proper cleaning of old drivers for video card, or is this a complete new build drivers and all?
although I dont mind the new drivers from AMD, they should have not bothered putting overclocking/controls into it, and allowed 3rd party such as afterburner to continue to do so(IMO they are much better looking and more customizable then overdrive/wattman is)

This is my guess anyways, old drivers written over by new and not in a "fresh state"(one could install the same drivers again as I had read somewhere that this "fixes" some installs that did not go well for vid card drviers for some odd reason) that being said, there was this report I noticed other day, maybe it effects fan speed as well, this am not sure
Do Not Use AMD 16.7.3 Drivers: Corruption, Hard Crashes, & OC Limit | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

Shadowmeph

Grrr so I did a uninstall reinstall now the drivers are not working at all GPUz shows my card but it shows Microsoft basic driver.
Edit
ok after the tenth time uninstalling deleting the AMD folders runing the reg cleaner shutting down unplugging my PSU pushing the power button to get rid of any residule power powering back up I got the newest drivers to install. so far my Temperatures are around 45c idle which is allot better then before I will see how it takes. I tried to install the 16.7.2 drivers a few times before but for some reason they just wouldn't load up after reboot, .

Last edited:

MARSTG

That doesn't sound like smooth sailing. Maybe a win reinstall should be in order?

Shadowmeph

ya I have approximately 500GB of games installed which is going to be a real pain in the arse . I wonder if I should grab an SSD for my windows install I am currently using a 1 TB SSHD Seagate hybrid drive which works great but thinking of upgrading if I do then all I need to do is install on new drive most likely quick install less hassle . been a while since I have done a fresh install lol

Latest posts