What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RX 480 - Occasional reboots

rjbarker

Is your RAM overclocked or have you adjust the Timings at all? In particular tried setting the Command Rate to 1T vs 2T ?

Bond007

Sounds like probably PSU, but it could be CPU/ram related.

How are CPU temps? With the new gpu, the CPU will be working much harder to feed it in most games.

vulcan500rider

Is your RAM overclocked or have you adjust the Timings at all? In particular tried setting the Command Rate to 1T vs 2T ?

No. I left the RAM at stock, I think. I was overclocking entirely with the multiplier, rather than with the frequency, so I didn't make adjustments to RAM speed.

vulcan500rider

Sounds like probably PSU, but it could be CPU/ram related.

How are CPU temps? With the new gpu, the CPU will be working much harder to feed it in most games.

Temps stayed 55 or lower for all cores. I wondered about the same thing, so I kept a pretty close eye on them.

Also, total sidenote, but after the system rebooted at the lower OC attempt, I ended up with a few of my hard drives magically unassigned. I had to go back in and manually mount them and give them drive paths again. I'm wondering if they got starved for power, as well. I'm not sure what that would look like.

I'm starting to give some serious consideration to buying a new Seasonic 650w or 750w...they're both on sale ATM.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I'd lean heavily towards PSU as the culprit and start there. The next likely reason is motherboard if the hard drivesare doing funky things too. Be careful you don't lose your data to corruption!

vulcan500rider

I'd lean heavily towards PSU as the culprit and start there. The next likely reason is motherboard if the hard drivesare doing funky things too. Be careful you don't lose your data to corruption!

Thanks, Sagath. I'm working on backing up the odd things that haven't received the attention they deserve. The only real holdout is my outside media collection, which I don't have a secondary drive large enough to back up...

I would have guessed the MB as well, except that all this started when I put the GPU in. It would be an odd coincidence for the MB to go just at that point, when it shouldn't make a huge difference which GPU I'm using (particularly since the Radeon driver was fixed to make sure the appropriate watts were being drawn from the PCI-E slot...).

If nothing else, I suppose a more modern PSU is probably warranted, as I even had to get a 6->8pin PCI-E adaptor. My Silverstone has just been so good to me that it's hard to put it out to pasture :sad:

vulcan500rider

I just wanted to offer an update. I tried resetting everything to factory defaults, and I didn't get any reboots for a few days. Then it started happening again. I gave in and ordered the Seasonic 650W, because it has such great reviews. It's also the first modular power supply I've ever owned, which was a bit of a treat when it came to running the cables. Unfortunately, it seems that the cutouts in the back tray of my case aren't in quite the right place for this PSU, so the cabling isn't perfect, but it will do.

Since the replacement, not a single reboot. The 12V stays rock solid at 12.16v, according to HWmonitor, which is great. It seems the problem may be solved, though I haven't gone back to my OC yet. I thought I'd give it a while just to make sure before I start risking random reboots again.

I will say, however, that I'm awfully happy with that old Silverstone 500W. I put that thing through all circles of hell--OC'd systems with 8800GT SLI, then a 5850 for years. All told, it made it 9 YEARS through that torture. I guess SKYMTL's conclusion in his original powersupply roundup was accurate--this thing is a tank

Shadowmeph

When I first got my 480 I was having huge issues with it rebooting my PC I RMAed the card then ended up Upgrading to a better version of thge card anmd it still on occasion would reboot my PC I installed the msi afterburner which seemed to help. then I did another driver update and haven't had a problem since. just make sure that if you are using anytype of software fan controller or overclock that you don't use the Radeon one

vulcan500rider

Thanks, Shadowmeph. I haven't used any OC'ing or fan control for the graphics card. It's so much more powerful than my 5850 that I really don't feel the need to squeeze more out of it, and the dual fan MSI model I bought actually stays reasonably cool and quiet. Thanks for the tip, though!