What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RX 5600 XT Reviews are out

moocow

So AMD released a new VBIOS update after the cards were shipped to reviewers and stores. Basically, the new VBIOS bumps the frequency of the card to make it competitive against the RTX 2060. The original VBIOS was closer to the GTX 1660 Ti in terms of performance. Steve @ GN pointed out some issues with AMD:
  • Some of the cards already at retailers won't have the new VBIOS and you won't see it until Chinese factories comes back from Lunar New Year, you will need to flash it yourself if you're an early adopter
  • AMD drivers are still crap, out of lab testing show a few problems
  • Cluster *beep* regarding review embargo, he can't review other AIB cards on the same day
Interesting card but you're only $10 to $20 away from RTX 2060 and it got working drivers and perform a bit better in some 4K situations. As mention in the video, this cuts into RX 5700 performance territory.

Bond007

2 reviews on techpowerup and 1 on anandtech as well.

They point out that the reference (full stock) has not changed from what was originally announced. The "new" bios that was released last minute is for factory OC cards.

Summary:

- excellent power consumption - they are finally the same or better than nvidia (on a smaller node though)
- The memory OC from 12 to 14Gbs on the last second bios holds the majority of the gain from the update
- With the OC, it is very similar to RTX2060 performance (above all GTX cards by a notable amount and a bit slower or faster that 2060 depending on the game / review you check). Pricing will determine value, since these will be OC cards.

Seems like a solid card to me, but we will see how the reference vs OC bios plays out with card availability when the dust (and pricing) settles.

Last edited:

moocow

Thanks for clearing up regarding the new VBIOS but makes the situation a bit more murky. Considering even the Pulse without the updated VBIOS is closer to the 1660 Ti and cost the same. I can't imagine AMD justifying not updating the reference card with a similar VBIOS update. Assuming the Pulse stays at $290 USD and the reference at $280 USD, the reference / base card is a non starter. I rather pay $10 more and push closer to 2060 than stuck at 1660 TI level performance.

Also, looks like different reviewers get different AIB cards. Cortex got an Asus TUF while Paul's Hardware and GN got the Pulse. Can't remember which one Jays2Cents got. Guess we have to wait for the combined AIB comparison review later.

SugarJ

Staff member
Gosh it would be nice if someone linked the HWC reviews, they go live when everyone else's do.

Bond007

Gosh it would be nice if someone linked the HWC reviews, they go live when everyone else's do.
Personally I go for written reviews for hardware. Hence my mention of techpowerup and anandtech.

Exception being case reviews. I love HWC case reviews, but sadly they don’t show on here and I only see the review if I stumble on it with a google search.

I still stand by that the reviews should show up in the forum in some way or another when they go live on another source...if they did I would be much more likely to watch.

moocow

An update from GN last night. Not all cards can handle the VBIOS update because the memory can't take the OC. Apparently a lot of AIB are pissed at the situation. Also mentioned in the video is that MSI will have a Mech and Mech OC where the OC can take the VBIOS but the regular Mech can't / won't because of failed validation. Steve also went on to explain the possible reason why AMD only allow certain cards to be reviewed on day one.

Latest posts

Twitter