What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

RX570 won't output more than 1080p to my 1440p monitor. No freesync either.

consid3r

Hello. I have a RX570 that I picked up used as part of an ITX build. I connected it to my monitor (https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF) which is a 1440p monitor. I've used this HDMI cable to connect my RTX 2070 to my PC before and still got 1440p + freesync. So, it's not the cable, and it's not the monitor.

Since this card came from unknown origins, I suspect there could be a modded bios. How would I take the steps to troubleshoot this, and potentially figure out the stock bios?

Bond007

Fresh install of windows? If not, my first though is drivers. Switching nvidia to amd or vice versa often gives random problems.

install GPU z if you think it could be hardware.

consid3r

This was a fresh install of Windows, yes. I installed and uninstalled drivers 3 times already. Hmm.

What can GPU Z tell me?

lowfat

Staff member
Where was the card bought? I highly doubt 99.9% of users are modding their bioses. It would gain nothing on that card.

Bond007

This was a fresh install of Windows, yes. I installed and uninstalled drivers 3 times already. Hmm.

What can GPU Z tell me?

Confirm it is an RX 570 and not some kind of knockoff.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I know you've ruled out the cable, but what about the HDMI port?
Maybe try a DVI dual-link cable to eliminate one more variable?

sswilson

Staff member
I'd be leaning heavily towards this being one of the no-name aliexpress vid cards that are marketed as a fairly high end consumer model but end up being rebadged bottom of the barrel GPUs.

Not being able to do 1440 is a bit weird though... I'd second the idea of trying the DVI (or displayport) to see if it will do the trick.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'd be leaning heavily towards this being one of the no-name aliexpress vid cards that are marketed as a fairly high end consumer model but end up being rebadged bottom of the barrel GPUs.

Not being able to do 1440 is a bit weird though... I'd second the idea of trying the DVI (or displayport) to see if it will do the trick.

I'd agree it's a fake card if it couldn't give expected fps, but not supporting a resolution? Almost anything can output 1440p, I think. So it's gotta be connectivity or EDID or something odd.

Izerous

Folding Team
There are two parts to this as well. The monitor needs to report the correct resolution to the card. I know with any monitor I haved played with when trying to get it into freesync it forces it to report as 1080p even on a 4k montior. Something similar might be goin on where it isn't the card but the monitors reported resolutions to the computer right now.

Latest posts

Twitter