What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ryzen 3800X, MSI Meg X570 ACE, Gen 4 NVMe - build/post

Blind Dog

The parts arrived at 6 pm last nite. Bench post went to bios, with a Ab or A6 code.

Put in case (changes storage - Firecuda moved & Corsair added), posted to message and an AE code.

Farting rainbows. :coffee: :cool:

Out of commission for a bit, hope to get back at it, & get it sorted out next week.

Thanks for the help (so far)!

Went with this -- it was on sale for $399 cdn. (MSI Carbon may have had temp. issue)
MSI Meg X570 Ace

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
For $40 CDN more, it does score 700 points, or so, higher on Passmark chart. Cheaped out on 6 noisy? fans & $69 Corsair case so not really extravagant.

PSU: EVGA 750 80+ Gold Semi Modular ECO mode

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (spare/trouble shooting)
&
I was ordering some G. Skill Flare X 3600 when four year-old 'Princess Wiggles' spotted the Royal Z. She thinks it's "bee you tea full". What can I say?

SSD: Seagate Firecuda PCI Gen4 NVMe

Corsair Force MP510 M.2 2280 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D TLC

GPU: RX 5700 XT Red Devil

Corsair case (The $69 case was a tad cheesy, so I upgraded to $89 on sale.)

Last edited:

Blind Dog

Thanks gingerbee. Are you a picker?

I did the build in the man cave so I had the TV/PC to use. Once it's proven stable, it will move to the man cranny. (small mud room)

I like the build better before I hit the power button.

But the grand kids dig the RGB stuff. Four year-old Princess Wiggles thinks the G.Skills ram is 'Bee You Tea Full'. 👸

As soon as I'm over the weather, I'll dl Mystic & work on the light show. Pretty incoherent/tacky/embarrassing/ugly as it is.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Cool build,but why are you mentioning post codes? It looks like it's posting fine and ready for an OS install... Just makes it seem like there's a problem when there doesn't appear to be any.

As for the RGB stuff, I'm soon to dive into it myself for the first time too. But i have a feeling I'll probably be turning the brightness waaayyy down and likely sticking to just one color, we'll see. Yours looks pretty good regardless though, clean simple builds are just really nice when they come together and everything "just works".

gingerbee

Nope blinddog I am not but have a brother who couldn't live without his Guitars there what help keep him sane that and working out lol.
Love the simple no mess build just power (y) :cool:

Blind Dog

Cool build,but why are you mentioning post codes? It looks like it's posting fine and ready for an OS install... Just makes it seem like there's a problem when there doesn't appear to be any.

As for the RGB stuff, I'm soon to dive into it myself for the first time too. But i have a feeling I'll probably be turning the brightness waaayyy down and likely sticking to just one color, we'll see. Yours looks pretty good regardless though, clean simple builds are just really nice when they come together and everything "just works".
I was having trouble seeing the Firecuda, and eluding unwanted input from a jo who tries to play sil. (Boyfriend of wife's x stepdaughter?) I'm at an age when people start thinking you're 'technically' dipping into their future cash, if you treat yourself.

Turns out the Firecuda was dead, and the jo just barely survived. I'm starting to feel better, and poking around a bit at the build.

I just got the new Firecuda, the Corsair Force is pulled, and when I powered up it went to the pre-install OS message. So unless Windows has a beef, just as soon as I locate an "8.5H M.2" screw, I should be back at it. MSI is nice enough to lyk you need a tiny screw, to hold the Firecuda to the stand off, but at $400+ they couldn't throw one in with board. The ssd fits in two other heat sinks without need of an additional screw, but as I understand it -- it should go in the position that requires the screw.

The rgb was unintentional. I went to order plain black/white Corsair case fans like I used in my last build. Thirty bucks a pop???

The Rosewill were thirty bucks a three pack, with hubs and remotes. They're black/white when they're not lit. Saved $120 on six. Once the OS is (durably) in, I'll dl 'Mystic' and hopefully it will be a coherent display. Turn everything to rainbow pulse, and toddlers watch it forever. 😍

Seems like it's easier, and cheaper, to buy the rgb stuff nowdays.

Spent 3 hours stealth cabling in one led strip last nite. Didn't lite. :unsure:

Nope blinddog I am not but have a brother who couldn't live without his Guitars there what help keep him sane that and working out lol.
Love the simple no mess build just power (y) :cool:
Thanks, but the power is proving elusive.

Between a doa Firecuda ssd, interrupted internet, and too many cooks -- I ended up with a crappy install on the Corsair Force. I have trouble with speech, and process, as the result of numerous small strokes after an embolism. This led an extended family member to decide 'old puddin head' needed to be protected from himself. It took a bit to overcome the unwanted (and unsuccessful) takeover of my PC build. The blow hard bought WalMart's $3000 pro gamer -- so he's obviously a geek -- like he says he is.

......................................................................................................................................................................

Quick query: with the Corsair Force removed entirely, and the new Firecuda in place -- can I just go about my OS install as if the flawed one never happened? Or is Windows going to tell me that I've already used the key, and want me to pony up again? Never had this situation before, so I'm not sure what to expect.

EDIT: I think as long as it's the same mb, it won't hit me with a reactivation issue -- so as soon as I come up with an 8.5H screw I'll reinstall OS again.

Last edited:

gingerbee

yup, you should be fine doing a reinstall of your os if you don't get activated automatically just use the call-in service and tell them that you only have it installed on one pc with that key and you'll bee good to go.

really sorry to hear about your health problems I fully understand ( have some myself ) ya make sure your family "geek" doesn't touch your pc if they think Walmart gamers are a good deal LOL. it's your money do what you want with it. I hope all works out for ya blind one. great name

Blind Dog

Thanks gingerbee, all the best with your health issues too.

"Healey" is the blind dog. Born blind, in a puppy mill, he rescued me about 7 years ago. By the wildest of flukes, I was in just the right place to hear about him, and pursuaded the mill owner not to "bin" him. I already had blind dog experience. I brought him home, basically sat on the couch -- and had the embolism. Because he was a pup, new digs, and had back yard business to attend to, I couldn't just lay there. Most folks do, and they die. We went "Outside?". We've been the very best buds ever since. (I'm absolutely nuts about him.)

"Healey" - I would have called him "Ray", but he kept losing the damn shades.

gingerbee

he so amazing looking and I bet he's a great dog ( wife is a vet tech ) I hate the way people act like animals don't value there lives as much as we value ours and treat them as items we own. sorry little rant there he seems like a great friend