What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Ryzen Build - FAIL

AllOrNothing

Just to clarify you did try a single stick on its own? And you have it running 2133mhz?

If so I would suspect the gpu. The video connectors on the motherboard won't work with ryzen.
I did try a single stick on its own in every slot. No change. I'll look for another gpu and give that a go.

10e

Artifacts like those green dots almost always point to faulty GPU vram.
Agreed with this 99.735%

If those dots are random, move a bit here and there, and appear and disappear it is very likely a GPU VRAM problem.

If you want to isolate the issue to CPU or GPU, run a CPU stress test like Prime95 or Aida64 and see if it crashes. If it does not, run a benchmark like Unigine Heaven or that new one (Superposition?) to stress the GPU and if it crashes, then bingo, it's the GPU.

AllOrNothing

Agreed with this 99.735%

If those dots are random, move a bit here and there, and appear and disappear it is very likely a GPU VRAM problem.

If you want to isolate the issue to CPU or GPU, run a CPU stress test like Prime95 or Aida64 and see if it crashes. If it does not, run a benchmark like Unigine Heaven or that new one (Superposition?) to stress the GPU and if it crashes, then bingo, it's the GPU.
So I ran Prime95 for 30 minutes and had no issues. I then ran Unigene Valley and received this error. Safe to say my GPU is at fault?

MeLeMko

If you've tried all the slots and still getting the dots, I'd suggest getting another GPU and trying it that way.

Have you tried moving the GPU to a different slot? I know it shouldn't make any difference, but I was having a problem on my mobo where it would only recognize in certain slots.

bignick277

So I ran Prime95 for 30 minutes and had no issues. I then ran Unigene Valley and received this error. Safe to say my GPU is at fault?

Yeah. Prime95 is a CPU intensive stress test. Unigene is a GPU bound stress test.

Those are most definitely graphical artifacts and pretty clearly point to your GPU as the most likely culprit. And since you earlier mentioned that it happens even when you're in BIOS, then it can't be a driver issue. This is most often caused by either a faulty GPU or a bad GPU overclock. As several others have already pointed out the VRAM, they are correct. You've only just set this up, so I doubt you've even gotten to a point where you would overclock the GPU and even then, the overclocks (from apps such as afterburner) normally only apply once you load into windows. Although I should point out that that 980ti AMP Extreme will be a pre-overclocked card via the hardware firmware.

I would recommend you either return or RMA your GPU. Also, I'm just asking because I'm curious. I'm not judging you. I'm guessing this might be your first or second build, and if so, you've done a good job. The rest of your build is solid and well chosen, but why did you buy such an expensive version of the 980ti when even the basic 1080 FE is cheaper than that card and is significantly faster? Especially if you overclock it. For the kind of money you're spending on that Zotac 980Ti AMP Extreme, you can get a standard 1080 and still be faster than that 980Ti and still have plenty of room to overclock the 1080 and get even more out of it on your own. Just curious... And hoping to have provided some useful info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter