What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

S9 or iPhone 8?

fubar

No one replied to my previous post. I'll try again - one more time.
I recently upgraded my phone via Fido - they had some holiday promotion sale/deal thing and I upgraded - spontaneous whim, maybe? I dunno but I was using a non-flagship phone that was always crashing - especially when using the web browser. I have some complaints and critiques with the S9 - one of the main ones is the battery. I don't think it's much better than my Acer phone. It just doesn't seem to keep a charge for very long - I expected more from an expensive, recent flagship phone (from Samsung). Do I have justification to complain? Is it because of Samsung bloat or it's just how it is - lots of S9 owners out there - who put up with it?

I could have chosen the iPhone 8 and kinda wanted to try iPhone - but, I read that it's a big change from the Android experience but it seems that many iPhone users/owners out there are satisfied with it and it's pretty solid - not very many complaints? Also, the battery is apparently better. Did I make a mistake choosing the S9 over the iPhone 8? I think those were my main two choices for the plan I got - my monthly charges went up for a couple of years and I also got an extra 1GB of data. It seems I am using data more, too. I seem to have more issues trying to connect to wifi networks and that is bugging me, too.

I hope to receive some replies this time. Else, I need to find another site for feedback.... :blarg:

Lysrin

*snip*
I hope to receive some replies this time. Else, I need to find another site for feedback.... :blarg:
Some posts get traction, some don't. I wouldn't take it too personally.

Your post is kind of a broad one to comment on. Personally my first smartphone ever was an early iPhone and then I have been Android ever since. Early Samsungs, lots of ROM flashing, etc.

But when the Nexus phones came along I switched to stock Android and have preferred those. Using a Pixel 2 now. Several Nexus before that. For me I prefer the customization options available to me on Android, and I like the updates and new OS versions that come quickly when using a pure Android/Google phone.

My wife just went to an iPhone 8 Plus through her work. Although I'm not an Apple lover for various philosophical reasons, I never knock the actual product they product. iPhones are great performers, good build quality, and iOS does what it does well.

Battery life has a lot of "it depends" caveats no matter what phone you're using. So that is tough to comment. I'd think you should be getting a day, maybe stretch to two, of moderate use with the S9. If you can't get that or it seems it won't hold a charge then perhaps it actually has a bad battery and you should see about exchanging it with your provider. I haven't Googled for widespread issues with S9, but I think Samsung is releasing a fairly mature product line at this point. If its performance is really bad I'd suspect the unit itself.

My wife gets two days on the 8 Plus, and that is being used at her work, but it is a bigger battery being the Plus version.

Issues with wifi connectivity are odd, but certainly hard to diagnose via forum post.

I think both are good phones in general. And both should be working well and doing what you want, differentiated by the software ecosystem you want to live in.

Mr. Friendly

iPhone 8 Plus. I have it, lovely device, bloody fast and the even with gaming the battery lasts all day for me.

iOS is not nearly as fragmented as Android and you're literally guaranteed compatibility for several update refreshes...my wife's 4 year old iPhone 6 Plus still gets the latest/greatest updates. other than the Google phones, show me a make/model that has that! :)

JD

Staff member
I find iPhones have better battery life when they're idle since they seem to basically kill/suspend all running apps. I have an iPhone 7 from work and it can go the whole week on "standby" if I don't actually use it. If I'm on calls or such though, then it dies pretty quick. My Pixel 3 doesn't kill things as aggressively though, so it suffers from minor battery drain even when idle.

Hard to judge if your S9 is "normal" or "broken" though. How many apps do you generally have open/running? How many background services? Apps syncing? GPS/location services active? Those things all will eat up your battery. What's your average screen-on time? Do you make a lot of phone calls?

Any flagship device is going to need charging throughout the day if you're a heavy user. Mid-range phones generally last longer as they have lower resolution screens and slower processors yet the same battery size as a flagship.

Even being in areas with low/no signal will cause increased battery usage. If you're underground during your commute, you could try using airplane mode to help save it from attempting to connect continuously.

enaberif

No one replied to my previous post. I'll try again - one more time.
I recently upgraded my phone via Fido - they had some holiday promotion sale/deal thing and I upgraded - spontaneous whim, maybe? I dunno but I was using a non-flagship phone that was always crashing - especially when using the web browser. I have some complaints and critiques with the S9 - one of the main ones is the battery. I don't think it's much better than my Acer phone. It just doesn't seem to keep a charge for very long - I expected more from an expensive, recent flagship phone (from Samsung). Do I have justification to complain? Is it because of Samsung bloat or it's just how it is - lots of S9 owners out there - who put up with it?

I could have chosen the iPhone 8 and kinda wanted to try iPhone - but, I read that it's a big change from the Android experience but it seems that many iPhone users/owners out there are satisfied with it and it's pretty solid - not very many complaints? Also, the battery is apparently better. Did I make a mistake choosing the S9 over the iPhone 8? I think those were my main two choices for the plan I got - my monthly charges went up for a couple of years and I also got an extra 1GB of data. It seems I am using data more, too. I seem to have more issues trying to connect to wifi networks and that is bugging me, too.

90% of the issues with Android phones is that in stock form EVERYTHING is turned on.

Disable all the useless crap like NFC, Location, and all the stupid sync's turned on for all the useless apps.

Then start disabling and removing all the bloat and apps you don't use.

Then see how the battery is. My S7 can still easily get a day out of the battery if I do a bit on it but can get sometimes 1.5 days easily.

Sagath

Staff member
This is sooooo subjective its hard to give critical feedback. To be honest (I dont remember seeing your other thread, must of missed it) a lot of people tend to shy away from this kind of question because it usually just turns in to a pissing contest of who is preferential (for subjective reasons) to what.

I'm an apple guy. Why? I like my phone to just work. I dont want to deal with custom firmwares (although I know you dont have to), and I want an experience that is consistant across my devices, even if I upgrade. Every android device does things slightly different, and I dont care to put effort in to changing settings or fiddle-farting with UI's and different add-in's to get it back to the way I want.

Basically? I want a smartphone that 'just works'. Apple does that for my ancedotal experience. I also pay a stupid luxury tax for that experience, which is probably why I'm still running a iPhone 7

enaberif

This is sooooo subjective its hard to give critical feedback. To be honest (I dont remember seeing your other thread, must of missed it) a lot of people tend to shy away from this kind of question because it usually just turns in to a pissing contest of who is preferential (for subjective reasons) to what.

I'm an apple guy. Why? I like my phone to just work. I dont want to deal with custom firmwares (although I know you dont have to), and I want an experience that is consistant across my devices, even if I upgrade. Every android device does things slightly different, and I dont care to put effort in to changing settings or fiddle-farting with UI's and different add-in's to get it back to the way I want.

Basically? I want a smartphone that 'just works'. Apple does that for my ancedotal experience. I also pay a stupid luxury tax for that experience, which is probably why I'm still running a iPhone 7
Don't kid yourself about iphones. Our environment has people using like 3 or 4 variations and each of them do something completely different.

Because I don't use iphones that often when someone gives one to me I'm like how to do you restart this thing? How do you turn on your wifi?

Say what you want.. but iphones and android phones share the same issues. The biggest difference is the OS itself and that is where things don't change much and that is what allows people to think or feel they are better.

Bond007

I used android a few times in the past, and am generally anti-apple due to pricing, but I do admit I have only had apple phones for the last number of years in my house. I don’t need the best of anything on my phone, I just need it to consistently, reliably, function. This is why I do use iPhones. The lack of fragmentation (mentioned earlier) seems to keep things running more smooth.

That all said, there are more capable phones available and others love them. Your call.

Sagath

Staff member
Don't kid yourself about iphones. Our environment has people using like 3 or 4 variations and each of them do something completely different.

Because I don't use iphones that often when someone gives one to me I'm like how to do you restart this thing? How do you turn on your wifi?

Say what you want.. but iphones and android phones share the same issues. The biggest difference is the OS itself and that is where things don't change much and that is what allows people to think or feel they are better.
I'm not kidding myself, and I would beg to differ. I dont see how you not knowing iPhones and not being able to turn it off is even relevant. I certainly dont know how to turn off a Samsung...

Anyways, my point is that my iP4, 6 and 7 all turn off the exact same way, and turn wifi off the exact same way. All of the settings/options are in the exact same location across all three devices. When I back up my phone before porting to a new phone, all of my apps and settings are exactly the same and need zero input (except TouchID needs to be re-set up). I highly doubt that a One+ and S9 and Razr do any of that the same, do they? Like Bond says, Android fragmentation is real.

Latest posts

Twitter