What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Safe to purchase the 2080 Ti now?

FreeKnight

It seems like the rush of failure rates at the start has died off. Allegedly number of failures was fairly normal compared to other product launches according to some, and it could have just been that people were noisier about it now than they would have been in the past due to the high prices and long period since the last AAA launch.

But in general there's no reason to expect a dead card anymore than you would have if you were buying a 1080 Ti six months ago.

FreeKnight

I don't remember Nvidia saying there was an issue with Pascal, Maxwell, or Kepler similar to the way they acknowledged that their 2nd best Turing card has issues and problems here:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-admits-2080-ti-problems/
There's plenty of articles too though where partners and retailers have said 'numbers are no worse than normal for returns'. It could just be corporate spin, the problem is we don't have access to the actual numbers. Even your cited article from before Black Friday admits the numbers seem to be dropping.
Reports still exist of problematic 2080 Ti cards on the Nvidia forums, but they do appear to be lessening, so it may be that we’re out of the woods at this point. That said, if you’re considering buying a 2080 Ti, we would caution doing so just yet, to see if whatever changes Nvidia have made have fixed the issue. Black Friday is just around the corner too.
More Power is asking if it's safe now. I'd say at this point it's either as safe as it's going to be, or as much as we'll ever know barring Nvidia published failure rates audited by a 3rd party for accuracy. Needless to say, that's never going to happen. It's just too difficult to ascertain how much worse the failure rate was, versus how much more tech media coverage it got.

Of course, if you're concerned there's no reason you can't wait, at the very least if you're really lucky you'll catch a price drop by the time you buy.

Last edited:

danmitch1

Also, do you guys think 1700$ +tax price tag will stick considering 1080 ti production was killed?

FreeKnight

Also, do you guys think 1700$ +tax price tag will stick considering 1080 ti production was killed?
There's no way to know for sure, but I wouldn't expect it to drop in the next few months if that helps at all. The only competition coming out is the Radeon VII which is expected to compete more with the 2080. There isn't a competitor on the horizon for the 2080 Ti, at least until Intel card's launch or Navi cards come out which is rumored to be either July or later depending on who you believe.

Not to mention supply is still short and a lot of 2080 Ti owners would be pissed to see a price drop after shelling out so much in the launch period. I'd say the best chance for a price 'drop' would be the Canadian dollar going up to make our prices go down, but there's not much expectation for that in the short future unless commodities suddenly explode.

danmitch1

Good points, they really fked us over because all the other non 1080ti 10 series seem to be in abundance. Im more wanting to upgrade for the ram as I do see the 2080 is performing as well as a 1080ti minus 3gb of ram.

MARSTG

Why do you need so much computing power? wouldn't it be cheaper to get 3-4 used 1070s (around 300 each) and a beefier PSU?

danmitch1

Gpu rendering. The software im using needs cuda cores which yes, can be benefit from several gpus installed but the software will only use the gpu with the smallest ram. So if i have 1 gpu with 4gb and one with 6gb, the total usable ram will only be 4gb. Renders will be speedy but my scenes will be limited to 4gb in size. Scene size can creep up on you quickly and its a real bummer when you run out of gpu ram mid project, like an artist running out of canvas or paint.

The 1080ti and 2080ti are the two cards with the best of both worlds. Speed and ram.

https://fstormrender.ru/forum/filedata/fetch?id=6045&d=1477553520

aram

KaptCrunch

Does your fan make click/ticking noise, also VR’s run super hot need to have fan on backside of card to cool them.

Got SC card no need to OC it out of the box had to fix the sagging fan wires with a bab of silicone

No issues with 2080 Ti sc

Latest posts

Twitter