What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Safe to turn on

johnnyuterus

I just bought a mobo off a guy used and im quite paranoid it may be doa, so heres my question:

I currently have the mobo in the case connected to the psu and the hard drive with both video cards hooked up in SLI and all of the fans wired up, but no cpu or memory installed.

would it be safe to power it on just to see if the mobo even comes on?

Thanks

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
It will not turn on.

Minimum to start is CPU, 1 stick of mem. I'd try that 1st, then with 1 GPU. If it's good, then add the rest.

Remember, hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds to turn off.

johnnyuterus

It will not turn on.

Minimum to start is CPU, 1 stick of mem. I'd try that 1st, then with 1 GPU. If it's good, then add the rest.

Remember, hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds to turn off.

I realize it won't post, I just want to see if everything lights up.

johnnyuterus

I will sleep better at night...plus I just got the antec 1200 case and just want to see it all lit up (lame I know) but my first build and I'm quite excited. will I damage anything by switching it on with no ram or cpu?

as I said, ive only got the 2 gpu's in SLI and the HD on the mobo right now

thx

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
You won't do any damage, but it probably won't turn on without the CPU.

1Tanker

If you're that paranoid about the guy selling you a DOA board... why didn't you buy new then? :blarg:

1Tanker

paid $220 for an Asus striker II extreme, 2 mos old.
congrats.gif
Nice. Disregard that question. :biggrin:

Chilly

Yes you can plug it in and see it "turn on" with no damage, but it will NOT prove if its dead or not. I have seen many DOA motherboards power up, they simply don't post. The ability to power up does not mean its not dead.

Frankly if your that worried, grab a CPU/Ram off a friend, or bring it into a local computer shop for a quick test(they may or may not charge a small fee)

Latest posts