What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Safety Measurement in water cooling setup?

KaptCrunch

Acrylic only issue is temp cycles over time will crack, and keep alcohol away for will spider crack.

Yes would be great if used rubber furlles compression setup guarantee no leaks

KaptCrunch

Only on dead ending flow with D5 will see 45-(75psi brass head), water needs a path to flow if block (s) are plugged, loop pressure will rise

clshades

It's not about the flex it's about stopping it from possible leaks. It will allow any air build up to leave the system as well. I put mine where the fill port to the resi.

If it over pressures a little from heat expansion it will leak out of the weakest link. Which would be why people are topping up the water from time to time.

Expansion tanks are code on heating systems and bigger hot water systems.

Is there really all that much pressure buildup in a flexible tube WC loop though? It's not like you're turning the water into steam, and there should be some amount of "give" in the flexible tubing itself.

I understand the concern in a closed loop metal pipe system, but never thought it would be that big of a deal in a soft tube WC setup.

Entz

Is there really all that much pressure buildup in a flexible tube WC loop though? It's not like you're turning the water into steam, and there should be some amount of "give" in the flexible tubing itself.
No, i mean if you think about it AIO dont have them so its not a requirement.

I found that for whatever reason if my loop was running for a while if you tried to take off the fill port air would rush in (out) so there was a small pressure difference but nothing serious but it was a cheap fix. Then again the pump also used to drop the Res level by an inch at startup, so there was like a pocket somewhere in the loop im sure.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
It's not about the flex it's about stopping it from possible leaks. It will allow any air build up to leave the system as well. I put mine where the fill port to the resi.

If it over pressures a little from heat expansion it will leak out of the weakest link. Which would be why people are topping up the water from time to time.

Expansion tanks are code on heating systems and bigger hot water systems.

Oh, I've got first hand knowledge of what happens if your expansion tank gets waterlogged in a closed loop system. (For the uninitiated, there's no room for expansion so as your boiler temps rise the water expands and hot water starts coming out of your overflow valve every time your system decides it needs to heat up the water).

clshades

Oh, I've got first hand knowledge of what happens if your expansion tank gets waterlogged in a closed loop system. (For the uninitiated, there's no room for expansion so as your boiler temps rise the water expands and hot water starts coming out of your overflow valve every time your system decides it needs to heat up the water).

Ah yes. You should see the two manifolds I inspected today. Completely effed due to blown expansion tanks. I'd post a pic if I knew how we do that here since the changes 😎

sswilson

Staff member
Ah yes. You should see the two manifolds I inspected today. Completely effed due to blown expansion tanks. I'd post a pic if I knew how we do that here since the changes 😎

Just use the "attach files" button under the text window. (I'm assuming that's not a mod-only function).

KaptCrunch

No, i mean if you think about it AIO dont have them so its not a requirement.

I found that for whatever reason if my loop was running for a while if you tried to take off the fill port air would rush in (out) so there was a small pressure difference but nothing serious but it was a cheap fix. Then again the pump also used to drop the Res level by an inch at startup, so there was like a pocket somewhere in the loop im sure.

AIO not using them for they leave air space in loop for air is compressible.

1 inch drop is venturi effect of pump flow through pipe

KaptCrunch

Over filled/heated system, idiot proof it with accumulator that can handle the temp range or repeat for commerance

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter