What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung CLP-670ND printing multiple blank pages before jamming

DougTheSlug

I've had this printer (samsung CLP-670ND) for a while, and have replaced all 4 toners at some point during it's lifespan. (Edit: found purchase date - May 12 2013 from ncix)

But today I encountered a paper jam. This has happened maybe a couple times in it's lifespan, but what was odd, was that after emptying the jam it started up again, it popped 3-4 empty pages out top and then just stopped complaining of a new jam. When opening up, papers appeared to just be sitting inside the printer in a chain as if they were normally printing and just stopped. There's no actual sign of a jam.

Now, here's the kicker. It's only trying to print one page, so I can't figure out why it's loading more than one page to begin with, but typically 4.5 pages get into the tray at the top before it just stops complaining of a new jam. I've wasted at least 50 sheets of paper repeating this process after wiggling or fiddling with various parts.

The app shows all the toners carts are sitting at full or near full. When I remove computers from the equation and just print one of the built in pages (test page, menu map etc) it does the same thing. Just take paper from the bottom tray and dump them out top as fast a possible until it just decides to stop again claiming a jam.

I've also tried reseating about everything possible, including all 4 toners, the big black plastic roller-ish sheet contraption on the inside of the front flap and the paper tray. Thing is, there's only 3 methods of ingress into this machine:
- front
- paper tray
- top (doesn't do much, I can look at the fuser unit, but it's screwed in and can't be pulled out)

Has anyone seen anything like this? I can't even tell if a certain component has just died and needs replacing. It must be long out of warranty so I can't imagine any sort of support call / tech support would yield anything that wouldn't cost more than outright replacing the unit.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
There must be a sensor of some sort that tells it when it has a page and it seems to have failed. That would explain the not printing bit, it is just trying to get a piece of paper and can't tell that it has one.

Any service manual or info available?

Last edited:

DougTheSlug

There must be a sensor of some sort that tells it when it has a page and it seems to have failed. That would explain the not printing bit, it is just trying to get a piece of paper and can't tell that it has one.

A failed sensor makes more sense than an actual jam. Here I was looking for something not feeding right, but that never explained the half dozen empty pages every time.

Unfortunately the manual is fairly limited in this respect. What I'd found online last night isn't much different from what I've found on the CD this morning. (also it only works in "IE 6.0" lol wtf)
For example, the big troubleshooting table has the following (displayed as list below, but actually a 3 column table)
  • Pages print, but they are blank.
  • Some parts, such as the controller or the board, may be defective.
  • Contact a service representative.

I guess the only option is to see what samsung support can do, but I don't have confidence that the cost of support won't dwarf the cost of the printer...

FreeKnight

Have you tried using a different type of paper and did it end up with the same result?

We had a Ricoh on a jobsite that behaved very similarly with partially recycled paper, it always spat out a few extra pages. We switched to a heavier weight paper and for whatever reason it started behaving.

You're probably right that it's a sensor or hardware issue, but it might be worth removing all the Samsung drivers from your PC, rebooting and then reinstalling and restoring everything to default on the off chance a software or setting glitch was sent to the printer. It's not the likeliest culprit, but it only costs time on the off chance it works.

Valkyrie

A failed sensor makes more sense than an actual jam. Here I was looking for something not feeding right, but that never explained the half dozen empty pages every time.

Unfortunately the manual is fairly limited in this respect. What I'd found online last night isn't much different from what I've found on the CD this morning. (also it only works in "IE 6.0" lol wtf)
For example, the big troubleshooting table has the following (displayed as list below, but actually a 3 column table)
  • Pages print, but they are blank.
  • Some parts, such as the controller or the board, may be defective.
  • Contact a service representative.

I guess the only option is to see what samsung support can do, but I don't have confidence that the cost of support won't dwarf the cost of the printer...

Well before you spend any money on it try to determine the device that is detecting a sheet feed. It may just be paper dust or toner dust causing the problem. And if it is a failed part, it may still be relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. If it's the main control board that might be a different story, but still worth looking into.

AkG

I had that printer... had same issue. Fixes I found for it were to make sure paper was not 'damp' ie super duper dry like kiln dry wood dry, were curling the right way, and the feed tray was not full.. but not empty. Decent printer (prefer the Canon ImageClass printers) but the feed mechanism is a fincky SOB. Sooo first thing I would is flip the paper over (easiest fix), and have the tray at about 50-60 percent capacity (the sweet spot) and see if it does it. If it does it... try a new unopened pkg of paper. Still doing it... try a different weight and brand of paper.

DougTheSlug

Have you tried using a different type of paper and did it end up with the same result?

We had a Ricoh on a jobsite that behaved very similarly with partially recycled paper, it always spat out a few extra pages. We switched to a heavier weight paper and for whatever reason it started behaving.

You're probably right that it's a sensor or hardware issue, but it might be worth removing all the Samsung drivers from your PC, rebooting and then reinstalling and restoring everything to default on the off chance a software or setting glitch was sent to the printer. It's not the likeliest culprit, but it only costs time on the off chance it works.
This can be reproduced without even involving any PCs (I just did it again for good measure). Unplug the printer from the network, power cycle to clear any print queue. After turning on, go into the first option of the menu - information -> first option - menu map -> print.
This should give me a single page printout of the menu map of the printer. One of the many test pages available via the menus. Behaviour is identical: 4 pages in the out tray and 3 at various points inside.

As for a different type of paper, that's a good idea for a cheap test option. I'll try but I'm not getting my hopes up. We have used for the entire lifetime of this printer 24lb paper which is already a notch above what you typically get, and as far as I can remember the last 1-2k pages have been Xerox "Professional Quality" "Bold (TM)" paper.

Valkyrie

I would be the last person to discount the possibility of paper problems. I've had some interesting and frustrating sessions with paper. The most interesting was due to humidity content and that was with an HP multi colour pen plotter.......many cycles ago......

Are the sheets in the feed overlapped or separated? You'd think that if the printer thinks it has a sheet it would go ahead and print the page on the first one through. If they are separated in the feed, do they seem closer together than they would in a normal paper jam?

DougTheSlug

I would be the last person to discount the possibility of paper problems. I've had some interesting and frustrating sessions with paper. The most interesting was due to humidity content and that was with an HP multi colour pen plotter.......many cycles ago......

Are the sheets in the feed overlapped or separated? You'd think that if the printer thinks it has a sheet it would go ahead and print the page on the first one through. If they are separated in the feed, do they seem closer together than they would in a normal paper jam?
Everything looks normal inside the printer. The pages appear typically spaced, no overlap etc. The pages are feeding as expected. I'm just under the assumption that the printer doesn't realize it's fed the page and so keeps perfectly feeding page after page until a timeout occurs and it erroneously complains of a jam.