What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung CLP-670ND printing multiple blank pages before jamming

sswilson

Staff member
Without digging too deeply into the model, what's the design as far as the "drum" goes? Do the toner replacements also incorporate a new drum, or is that something separate? If it's separate, what's the status of the drum, is it maybe time to replace that? (In many cases, that's definitely the time to consider just upgrading to a new printer).

HankB

AFAIK the drum (the fuser?) is a separate assembly. That was the first thing I swapped between the two units I have. The fuser has a roller and each toner cartridge also has a roller.

Valkyrie

My money is still on something to do with sheet feed detection. If you found the right manual, that's a good start. it might be simple and cheap or it might not. It depends of what has failed. I wish you luck fixing it because printers play a huge roll in the massive e-waste problem.

Last edited:

HankB

My money is still on something to do with sheet feed detection. If you found the right manual, that's a good start. it might be simple and cheap or it might not. It depends of what has failed. I wish you luck fixing it because printers play a huge roll in the massive e-waste problem.
I agree. However the manual is pretty vague about checking the sensors. There is one diagram that shows their location but I'm not actually able to identify them on the actual printer. Also since this seems to be age related, I'm wonder if there is a component like a bulging capacitor on one of the PCBs. I think I'll leave that to someone with more experience with printers. The last time I got rid of a printer I listed it on Craigslist (for free) and someone picked it up. I suspect they or someone they knew could repair it and get it back into service. Or at least scavenge parts from it.

Valkyrie

Sometimes just pulling modules out an re-installing them will wipe electrical contacts enough to restore low level signals. The 670ND must also have a PTB unit, and the paper sensors are probably in it.

Can you link this manual you've found?

Hello,

Registered here to resurrect this excellent thread and share my findings. I am locked in battle with a Samsung CLP-670N which is exhibiting the same symptons: multiple blank pages being fed followed by internal paper jam every time it prints. I agree with previous posters who suspect it's caused by a failed sensor, but which one? As it happens the "service manual" (worst excuse of one I've ever seen) lists a number of sensor tests in the "tech mode", though the only three sensors I have been able to locate physically all test good. It took me a while to figure out how these sensor tests work; at first they seemed to do nothing and the display was stuck on NNNN-"sensor name" Status: [Low] no matter how I wiggled the sensor interruptor - it turns out you need to press the "Ok" button to start the test, after which the status will alternate between [Low] and [High] as the sensor is de/activated. Here's an example of me toggling the "exit sensor":

sensor_test.jpg

The documentation for this printer is a mess though, and I have been unable to identify any sensors beyond these three:

4) Paper Empty Sensor / 2) PAPER_EMPTY (0010 Tray1 Empty in test menu, NSENS_CST_EMPT on PCB)​
6) Paper Feed Sensor (SCF 1) / 3) SENS_FEED (0290 Feed Sensor in test menu, NSENS_FEED on PCB)​
3) Exit Sensor / 5) SENS_PAPER_EXIT (0370 Exit Sens in test menu, NSENS_EXIT on PCB)​

How they managed to end up with no less that four different references for each sensor is beyond me, but it's an impressive feat for sure - if you want to create maximum confusion. However, the illustrations in the "service manual" lists many more sensors, and I'm particularly suspicious of the one called

2) Regi Sensor / 4) SENS_REGI (not present in test menu AFICT, connection not located on PCB)​

Screenshot_2023-01-16_17-54-48.png

Screenshot_2023-01-16_17-55-58.png

sensor_tests.png

Despite the poor documentation I'm quite fond of this printer - when it was working it produced great quality prints, and it's only done 16k pages out of a life expectancy of 200k. I also have a full set of BNIB toner cartridges for it in addition to the installed ones (which have plenty of life left). In other words, it would be nice to get it back in action! Curious to hear if any of the contributors to this thread got any further with theirs?

Last edited:

This is what it typically looks like inside after the printer stops with the paper jam error - as you can see there is no actual jam, which is why a faulty sensor seems like the most logical answer.

paper_jam.jpg

I managed to locate the manual feed sensor: it is hidden behind the front fascia of the paper cassette (ringed in red in the photo below). This is sensor 7) MPF Empty Sensor / 7) MP_EMPTY (0280 MP Empty in test menu, SENS_MP_EMPT on PCB). After removing the fascia I found two obvious faults - firstly that the manual feed sensor was stuck in the loaded position, due to it jamming against part of the cassette, secondly that the manual feed rubber roller had broken off and was getting stuck in the mechanism. I had high hopes that either or both of these faults would be the cause of the problems, but alas, even after unjamming the sensor and removing the perished rubber (thereby freeing the axle it was on) the problems persist. I verified that the sensor is working correctly using the "tech mode" sensor test.

paper_cassette_front.jpg

Last edited:

We are not alone (the 620 is very similar to the 670 - it even shares the same service manual). No useful answers found of course, but seeing how common this issue seems to be makes me even more determined...

Screenshot_2023-01-16_23-16-04.png
Screenshot_2023-01-16_23-16-43.png
Screenshot_2023-01-16_23-17-18.png
Screenshot_2023-01-16_23-18-25.png
Screenshot_2023-01-16_23-22-18.png

"Factory reset"? Hmm... Could be worth a try!

I also found this in the "troubleshooting" section of the service manual:

paper_jam_inside.png

Explicitly mentioning the "regi sensor" that I already had as my prime suspect. But where the >bleep< can I find it?

Latest posts