What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung Galaxy Note II Review Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I've never heard of a SIM unlock voiding warranty myself, only bootloader unlocking/ rooting. For a samsung phone to be warranty void you'd have to trip the flash counter, which a SIM unlock does not do

Yes, we have a third party warranty which Telus sells (got a discount and we're only paying $1.50 per month for it) which explicitly states in the fine print that unlocking the phone will void said warranty.

Dzzope

Manufacturer warranty is different to carrier. At home if you unlock your phone before the end of your contract, your in breach of it.
Your not entitled to any support from the carrier and indeed they can terminate your service and demand the balance of the base cost of the contract.

Best read all the fine print.
Sim free FTW.

chrisk

Folding Captain
I guess Telus will not allow us to upgrade like my first Millestone

The problem with Android of course is that the carriers get in the way of updates. It really needs to be addressed, actually. People should not have to root and flash a rom in order to get the latest updates. Apple is the leader in this case.

Samsung is rumoured to be changing the update scheme starting with the Galaxy S4; we will see if this is the case.

So yes, as always with Android, this update is carrier-dependent. :doh:

Eluder

Yes, we have a third party warranty which Telus sells (got a discount and we're only paying $1.50 per month for it) which explicitly states in the fine print that unlocking the phone will void said warranty.
That's pretty lame to be honest considering unlocking is built in to the phone and is meant to be used by the customer should they wish to.

I've never had an issue with warranty and the manufaturer before, including Samsung. I just sent in my unlocked GS3 to Samsung for warranty; it came back repaired without issue. Well the only problem is they re-flashed the software cause that was part of the problem, but since I had the unlock code I simply re-entered it and all was well.

Inik

Folding Team
If the Note II gets the update, will my original note get a jelly update someday ?

BT!

AWESOME!! i just got mine saturday and was disappointed when i found out it wasn't enabled on this phone.
took update this morning at 6am, multi-window works great!

Latest posts