What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung launches 870 Evo SATA SSD

Mr. Friendly

honestly, I'm surprised development is still going into SATA SSD's. I get they'll be popular for older system upgrades and perhaps entry level custom PC's, but notebooks and desktops from the OEM's have all transitioned to M.2 NVMe for the most part. even Lenovo's cheapest business PC's are M.2 now. Well...I guess they might still be using SATA SSD's in consumer systems, but being most notebooks are thin and light, I have a healthy dose of doubt on that too.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
As I've said more than once, the real area sata SSDs need to develop is replacing HDDs.

Please SSD makers: make a 3.5" sata SSD that's affordable starting at 1TB. Don't care if it isn't the fastest SSD, even a basic one will be faster and more reliable than HDDs (if done Right).

In short, we need an SSD that finally kills off the small spinners. There's no reason to buy a 1tb spinner anymore, save for the cost savings over a 1tb SSD. So if the price of the latter comes down...

crazyea

Consider MLC is much more durable over QLC which most nvme drives use at this size, I'd still take the sata version for a 4tb drive.

Izerous

Folding Team
Please SSD makers: make a 3.5" sata SSD that's affordable starting at 1TB. Don't care if it isn't the fastest SSD, even a basic one will be faster and more reliable than HDDs (if done Right).
Considering with super cheap adapters 2 2.5in drives will fit in the space of a single 3.5in I don't think that will happen. More likely to continue in the 2.5in form factor with adapters that make sure they can be slotted into a NAS etc. A large amount of cases have dropped 5.25in bays and the number of 3.5in bays are decreasing with some cases only supporting 2.5in drives at all.

But otherwise we have slowly been seeing this transition where lower capacity SSD's have completely eaten lower capacity HDDs. Memory express for example doesn't list any 3.5in drives under 1TB anymore, anything with a lower capacity has become SSD or 2.5in platter drives intended for laptops etc. I think eventually that line in the sand will move up where 2TB will be the smallest practical 3.5in drive and anything smaller will be SSD/2.5in platters. There have been articles that mentioned that things like 60GB SSDs don't even make sense compared to 120GB drives as the different in cost is negligible so why have 2 SKUs. Even the number of under 250GB SSDs on the market has declined a lot compared to a couple years ago. Won't be long until 120GB drives just completely disappear from the market too.

Right now I have a 500GB NVMe drive in an enclosure that is a bit smaller than a bare 2.5in SSD. We might even start to see things like this become more popular and start to see a decline overall of the 2.5in form factor (this will take longer) to the point where you can't even buy a 2.5in SSD but a NVMe drive + adapter like these just like how you need the 2.5 -> 3.5 in adapters now.

Edit: NVMe plugged into one of those screwed into a 2.5in -> 3.5in adapter and you "could" mount an NVMe drive in a 3.5in bay, NAS etc...

Soultribunal

Staff member

honestly, I'm surprised development is still going into SATA SSD's. I get they'll be popular for older system upgrades and perhaps entry level custom PC's, but notebooks and desktops from the OEM's have all transitioned to M.2 NVMe for the most part. even Lenovo's cheapest business PC's are M.2 now. Well...I guess they might still be using SATA SSD's in consumer systems, but being most notebooks are thin and light, I have a healthy dose of doubt on that too.

Hard pass regardless if Samsungs Warranty Woes still exist for Canada.

-ST

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@Izerous
The only problem with your plan is cost. It's pointless using the fast nvme stuff in an data enclosure/adapter.

That's why I want someone to make a 3.5 (or 2.5 with adapters that have the correct offset for backplanes) made cheaply and reliably. There may not be as many cases that fit 3.5 drives, but in the NAS world everything is still 3.5, unless you to the extremely expensive stuff. And I'd rather pay less and have reliable SSDs populating an old 3.5 NAS or file server than sell my internal organs to afford an nvme NAS that gets cramped at ethernet speeds anyways.