What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung Releases An 8TB SSD

Prickly007

Five years ago, SKYMTL called, the 750 series a "quantum leap forward". The 900p/905p series was similarly lauded; even if it's real world usage is debatable. Low end Intel SSDs might be dubious, but they are still the performance leader in the prosumer/enthusiast market. And, unlike Samsung, an Intel warranty is actually valid in this country.

Mr. Friendly

Five years ago, SKYMTL called, the 750 series a "quantum leap forward". The 900p/905p series was similarly lauded; even if it's real world usage is debatable. Low end Intel SSDs might be dubious, but they are still the performance leader in the prosumer/enthusiast market. And, unlike Samsung, an Intel warranty is actually valid in this country.
that's true...I can see my opinion being shaded by the fact the performance #'s may not be top of the scale...and yet, we realistically will never see that for our type of usage, so it's a spec that realistically useless.

sswilson

Staff member
The 730 series SATA SSDs that many of us snagged during BF sales still perform on par with current day SATA SSDs in spite of being released 4 or 5 years prior to Peak Sata SSD markets, and the intel 760p NVMe might not have been a performance king, but it was right up there with all of the other higher end consumer grade drives.

It wasn't really until the 660p series that they seem to have lost their way with a sub-par offering.

Mr. Friendly

The 730 series SATA SSDs that many of us snagged during BF sales still perform on par with current day SATA SSDs in spite of being released 4 or 5 years prior to Peak Sata SSD markets, and the intel 760p NVMe might not have been a performance king, but it was right up there with all of the other higher end consumer grade drives.

It wasn't really until the 660p series that they seem to have lost their way with a sub-par offering.
I don't think the 660p was ever meant to be a mainstay drive, but rather a first attempt as something for storage purposes. of course, most issues were remedied after a few firmware updates were made, I think. but by that time, it was too late...newer and better from others had arrived and the 660p became an afterthought.

lowfat

Staff member
I wouldn't call the 905 prosumer or enthusiast, its an enterprise drive. You could get the 8TB NVMe Sabrent, and still pocket another $700+ for the price of a 1.25TB 905P. The 900p max size is 480GB, which is pretty laughable.

Even the 750 wasn't really a drive for desktop users. It excelled in high queue depths, which you'll never see in desktop usage. For QD1-3 random read speeds, it was pretty much bang the same as the Samsung 950 Pro. But w/ a higher $:GB and lower performance:watt.

ipaine

I wouldn't call the 905 prosumer or enthusiast, its an enterprise drive. You could get the 8TB NVMe Sabrent, and still pocket another $700+ for the price of a 1.25TB 905P. The 900p max size is 480GB, which is pretty laughable.

Even the 750 wasn't really a drive for desktop users. It excelled in high queue depths, which you'll never see in desktop usage. For QD1-3 random read speeds, it was pretty much bang the same as the Samsung 950 Pro. But w/ a higher $:GB and lower performance:watt.
Just looked and you can pick up that 8TB Sabrent from Amazon.ca for $2170. Damn pricey, but nice to see the size. I know if I could turn around and spend that on storage I would. Get 4 of them, throw them into one of those m.2 x4 raid cards and you could have one hell of a nice storage setup.

But as for Samsung, I also stay away from them because of warranty issues. With standard sata ssd's I mainly stick with Crucial's, well I also have a few Adata SU800 drives too. I will say that I have dealt with Crucial with rma's a few times and it has always been an easy process. Oh one tip though, either keep the box or copy down all the number from it as there is one that you need (if doing a rma) that is not on the drive.

Mr. Friendly

Just looked and you can pick up that 8TB Sabrent from Amazon.ca for $2170. Damn pricey, but nice to see the size. I know if I could turn around and spend that on storage I would. Get 4 of them, throw them into one of those m.2 x4 raid cards and you could have one hell of a nice storage setup.

But as for Samsung, I also stay away from them because of warranty issues. With standard sata ssd's I mainly stick with Crucial's, well I also have a few Adata SU800 drives too. I will say that I have dealt with Crucial with rma's a few times and it has always been an easy process. Oh one tip though, either keep the box or copy down all the number from it as there is one that you need (if doing a rma) that is not on the drive.
hehehe...I can see it 5 years from now. I spent $2150 for an 8TB SSD....they're $100 now. ;)