What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sapphire Radeon x1900 XT fan grinding

Scart

I have a 3-year old card of the above which I am looking to replace with a 4850/70 when I get more time and money and a better processor, but for the time being I am having a really annoying problem:

From time to time the fan in the card will start making a loud grinding noise that seems to come and go, but sometimes it will do it for over an hour, cutting in and out briefly.

This has happened for a long time and sometimes it disappears and returns. I haven't had time to open it up and spray out the fan, but if anyone knows of a reason other than dust that may bew causeing this I would greatly appreciate it.

sswilson

Staff member
A good cleaning might fix it up. You might also want to see if the fan blades are moving up the spindle allowing them to contact the body of the heatsink.

Scart

It's impossible for the fan to touch the heatsinks because of the weird design, but I will clean it when I get the chance and see if that makes a difference.