What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SATA Controller

LC0g

When I enable the AHCI in my BIOS, windows bluescreen on me at load up :blarg:. This is weird... I only have a SATA HDD and a SATA DVD Drive... I want to enable it to get all the more performance, because I am now on the default IDE controller. Do you guys know what is causing this?

Thanks a lot! :bananafunky:

Last edited:

enaberif

When I enable the AHCI in my BIOS, windows bluescreen on me at load up :blarg:. This is weird... I only have a SATA HDD and a SATA DVD Drive... I want to enable it to get all the more performance, because I am know on the default IDE controller. Do you guys know what is causing this?

Thanks a lot! :bananafunky:

Your not going to gain any real world performance.

And sounds like you have XP which means its a royal PITA to get it working.

MacJunky

Not if you have a second SATA controller on the board or in a slot that you can keep in IDE mode while the other is in AHCI.
IIRC anyway..

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I read somewhere that you have to re-install windows if you change to/from ahci.

misterd

As MacJunky said there's workarounds, some people use the "usually" included Jmicron as an IDE Emulated SATA port and make the intel/amd ones AHCI, boot off the jmicron install the Intel matrix drivers and then swap the cable over.

zoob

Your not going to gain any real world performance.

And sounds like you have XP which means its a royal PITA to get it working.

I call BS on both of these statements.

Back when I ran my SATA drives in IDE mode, heavy I/O would cause my high end system (at the time) coming to a grinding halt.

We're talking 3 hard drives and 1 dvd burner, extract from A->B, burn from C->DVD, and then getting less than 1X burning speed.

Questions - SATA performance, RAID, reliability - XtremeSystems Forums
In particular, my reply on post #11.

I've successfully switched from IDE->AHCI on an XP and Vista installs using the instructions found here: HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

enaberif

I call BS on both of these statements.

Back when I ran my SATA drives in IDE mode, heavy I/O would cause my high end system (at the time) coming to a grinding halt.

We're talking 3 hard drives and 1 dvd burner, extract from A->B, burn from C->DVD, and then getting less than 1X burning speed.

Questions - SATA performance, RAID, reliability - XtremeSystems Forums
In particular, my reply on post #11.

I've successfully switched from IDE->AHCI on an XP and Vista installs using the instructions found here: HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows - PC Perspective Forums

That is fine I've run both tests and neither were much different from each other.

All AHCI provides is hot swapping for ESATA and usage of NCQ if your hdd has it which has been shown to be detrimental to performance not increase it.

Enabling Write Cache will give you more performance than enabling AHCI.

And funny that article you posted says the exact same thing I did. However, in the real world the performance difference isn't huge.

So.. say again whose calling bullshit?

zoob

First link is to address performance -- Something I saw first hand on multiple systems.

Second link is to address the XP install of AHCI drivers (switching from IDE).

enaberif

First link is to address performance -- Something I saw first hand on multiple systems.

Second link is to address the XP install of AHCI drivers (switching from IDE).

First link is about RAID
Second link is about switching from IDE Compatibility mode to AHCI; which also says no real world performance.

Want a shovel?