What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sata Dvd writer keeps being disconnected?

Realityshift

Ive been trying for the last couple days to burn some TV episodes onto dvds using ConvertXtoDVD, I have used the program alot and have never experienced this issue. I start the burn as per normal, normally leaving the room as I dont feel like watching progress bars for 30 minutes... I come back to check on it and either the DVD is ejected with nothing burnt on it, or the DVD is in but CXTDVD is running in the back ground and stuck at the last 15 seconds of the burn... I cant eject the DVD when that happens, it completely refuses to respond, but ive checked all the connections and their all firm.

This latest incident led me to rebooting the system, upon reboot the sata drive was still unacsessable in bios, it took forever for bios to load, what normally takes 2-3 seconds to go from cold boot to bios took over a minute.

I reset the bios, as restarting the computer again resulted in the same issue, and it seems to have fixed it for now. I have no issues with burning a full dvd using nero 8 though... Ive increased the voltages to my SPP and MCP, they where a bit low to begin with for running 4 sticks of ram.

This is the motherboard I received from EVGA RMA, really hoping its not another RMA =( Overclock seems to be stable, ive run pretty much everything by it, IBT 20 runs, Memtest for 2 hours, Orthos blend for 14 hours, orthos small FFTs for 4 hours...

If it happens again ill be switching to another sata connector to try and see if maybe 1 connector is messed up. Funny thing is the hard drive has no issues, no matter how much read or write load is put on it. I dont think its the DVD writer as its burnt around 25 dvds through Convertx and hasnt had a single issue.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
could be the burner. Do you have another machine to test the burner in?

Realityshift

Yeah I do, Im going to give that a shot later, so far ive burnt 2 dvds through convertx and they seem to have worked, going to keep testing it, maybe the boost in voltages helped.

martin_metal_88

If to boost voltage have help maybe your board is laying on hes fine death. If there is no DVD drive even Hard drive the bios don't give a ***k and load anyway in the same time has normaly because most of the board are fast enough to load bios before to have recognise your disk itself. I just see that you are OC so maybe your settings are not the an optimal long time stable, but the point you say you clear the BIOS and it was always kep the hell to load let me perplex. Test the drive I hope it will work for you but your trouble scary me a little. Don't take what I say as a final advise it's only an opinion I would recomand to flash bios if you haev the ease to do it. It can be a corrupted file into your own BIOS wich take it a sky to load before to just skip it ( like windowswas designed to do ).

Ask for more

Realityshift

This sounds odd to me but I think the problem was the media I was using to burn on, Maxell DVD-Rs. Ive tried the same burns using some TDK +Rs and some Verbatim Dual Layers and both work fine with multiple burns. As soon as I try the maxells I get errors and my DVD burner shuts down o_O I didnt think bad media could effect a DVD writer so harshly. Im going to continue testing with the TDKs and see if I get any errors down the road. Ive heard that maxell is bad for using different DVDs even within the same spindals so maybe thats the issue I just hit a bad stock of DVDs.