What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SATA II HDDs in a SATA III port

ivanlyf_2011

Hi everyone

I've been trying to find an answer to these questions online but I can't find them, hence, pardon me if I have asked a repeat question

1. Can we plug in a SATA II HDD into a SATA III port on the motherboard?

2. Can we plug a SATA III HDD into a SATA II port on the motherboard?

Thanks!

I'm asking this because I bought an Intel 320 series SSD and then I realise that my motherboard only has SATA III (AMD SB850)

frontier204

I've done both without problems. The protocol is designed to be backwards-compatible.

1. (SATA 3 Gb/s Kingston SSDNow in an Intel P67's SATA 6 Gb/s)
2. (SATA 6 Gb/s WD Caviar Black in an AMD 790GX's (EDIT: +SB750) SATA 3 Gb/s)

Last edited:

ivanlyf_2011

Thanks to the 2 of you!!

BTW, I intend to sell off my system in anticipation of Bulldozer. Do you guys think that Bulldozer will be punctual?

_dangtx_

Banned
punctual,as in release date? if i had a mid to high end machine right now thats been going for a little while and not that i just bought?

i would sell the core components in time. once leaks start appearing it may get into the chatter and people wont pay

the coin they would pay today...:) so yeah go for it.

ivanlyf_2011

Hi Dangtx

Yeah as in I wonder whether Bulldozer will be released by June latest and whether it will reach consumers's hands by August 2011 latest...

I live in Singapore btw where AMD is now packing its Llano APU

Latest posts

Twitter