What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

sata networking?

andynerd

can i make a lan network using a sata connection for me and my gaming buddies?

Jon_di2

can i make a lan network using a sata connection for me and my gaming buddies?

Not that i know of... at least not with some time of supporting hardware that will facilitate the link. (have you googled the idea).. but what is wrong with just using a router & networking?

CntdwnToExtn

s-ata is not used for networking purposes.
there is no device like a network card that you can buy to use this type of cable to connect 2 computers.

you want Category 5e cable

Jack Rabbit

SATA is an end to end packet based network so this could be done. People did make networking drivers for SCSI systems and Firewire and USB networking devices are commonly available. I think you could do it with normal cables and cards that support port replicators which some built in hardware on mainboards do. However, you would have to write your own drivers.

While this might be an interesting intellectual hobby it would be a lot of work for very little value. SATA has only a short cable length and a small amount of replication. Gigabit Ethernet is vastly superiour in all ways except for a theoretical speed cap.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Twitter