What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Screen goes black after bumping up to max res at 2560x1440

dougz

Went to change my screen resolution to 'recommended' 2560x1440', and my screen goes black, power saver on the monitor shows up briefly, buttons on monitor work (can select HDMI as my input source, etc), but I have to reboot..

My monitor (DELL S2417DG) is connected to video card (Nvidea GeForce GTX 1060 6G) via an HDMI cable, just installed a new mobo and video card.

Any ideas?

supaflyx3

+1 you need a DP cable, HDMI can't handle 1440p high refresh rates. IIRC it's limited to 120hz at 1080p, and likely 60hz at 1440p.

Bond007

Likely the cable. What refresh rate do you have it set to? If you try 60hz at 1440p it may work over hdmi. Display port "should" solve the problem though.

dougz

Hmm, ok will try it with a DP cable, thanks. The HDMI cable I bought off Dell as well.

Not sure how to change the refresh rate..

Lysrin

You can change the refresh rate in Windows. If you are using Windows 10 right click the desktop, select Display Settings, then scroll down to Display adapter properties. Once you open that dialog window, select the Monitor tab and you should be able to select the Screen Refresh Rate from there. Worth testing but still recommend going DP as the others have said.

sswilson

Staff member
If the menu is the same that I've got on mine you'll find that the "overclock" menu setting to get it to 165 (on the monitor itself) isn't quite as intuitive as it should be.... once you have the 165 selected you have to "enter" the selection which will essentially reboot the monitor with the new settings. If it doesn't reboot, you haven't done it right and the 165 won't stick.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter