What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Screen tear on duplicate TV

Frugalmeister

Extending my desktop isn't an option because that's not the end result I want. What I'm really looking for is duplicating my displays so that I have full access to my desktop from either one. The displays will be in two separate rooms.

As it is now, duplicate displays is working fine except when watching videos, which will produce descending screen tears on the TV.

Frugalmeister

Frugalmeister

Interesting app, but not what I'm looking for.

To clarify, I'm completely satisfied with Windows' duplicate display settings. I'd just like video to work properly on the TV without screen tear when the monitor is switched on. :)

Frugalmeister

Frugalmeister

I tried two different HDMI cables. Same result: screen tear on TV when both displays are switched on and no problem when monitor is switched off.

Frugalmeister

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

what about the length what I am getting at is if the TV is in a seperate room that would mean that the cable would be longer , so if you were to move the TV into the room where there PC is and then connect the shorter cable to the TV and the longer to your PC`s monitor and then turn both on does the Monitor ( that has the longer cable) have the problem?
Or am I way off base, I am just trying to trouble shoot is it the TV or the cables or the graphics card not powerful enough to support both at the same time

Frugalmeister

Well the TV is sitting right next to my computer at the moment for troubleshooting purposes. As I said in my OP, the monitor is connected via DisplayPort and the TV via HDMI, so the cables are not interchangeable.

I'm digging around on other sites and I've read that AMD cards seem to have trouble syncing on two displays when fed via different types of cables. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I've read that I might be able to bypass the problem if I set the TV as my main display in duplicate mode, but in Windows 8 I don't seem to have the option to set a main display when duplicate mode is selected. Any advice to get around this?

Frugalmeister

Shadowmeph

Well the TV is sitting right next to my computer at the moment for troubleshooting purposes. As I said in my OP, the monitor is connected via DisplayPort and the TV via HDMI, so the cables are not interchangeable.

I'm digging around on other sites and I've read that AMD cards seem to have trouble syncing on two displays when fed via different types of cables. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I've read that I might be able to bypass the problem if I set the TV as my main display in duplicate mode, but in Windows 8 I don't seem to have the option to set a main display when duplicate mode is selected. Any advice to get around this?

Frugalmeister
Hmm I will check that out with my 7770HD card tha tI have connected to my TV via hdmi

Frugalmeister

Sorry Shadowmeph, I don't understand. Both of my displays turn on and function fine. The only problem is that when I play videos (VLC, YouTube, etc.), I have screen tear on the TV.

In AMD Catalyst Control Center, both monitors are listed as no. 1, so there's no way for me to set the TV as the main display. Same deal in the Screen Resolution window in Windows 8; only one display is listed: 1|2. Multiple Monitors. No option to set one of the displays as the main one.

Not sure what else I can try now.

Frugalmeister

Latest posts