What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Semi-Budgety / Gaming Build

exray

Hi all,

Here's what I'm thinking for my build. I priced it out using directcanada (cheapest for ALL components) and I can live with the $1200 price tag, but don't want to spend any more. I'm looking for quality of build/components!

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHZ)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 4GB
Video: HIS Radeon HD 4870
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 32mb cache
DVD: Samsung SH-S223F Black SATA
PSU: Corsair TX750W
Case: NZXT Tempest

So I've skimped on the cooling solution based on the fact that the NZXT Tempest case is *reportedly* a cooling monster. I've heard that the wolfdale CPUs are great for overclocking and I would only be looking to take this one up to 3.6GHZ if not just leaving it at stock speed. Will this build survive that???

Also, in preparation for building this PC (a first) I've looked at a bunch of guides and I think I'm all set. The only grey area I have would be setting up the BIOS that would run this setup optimally. Is there a guide somewhere for that?

Also, with only the one hard-drive do I need to worry about IDE/SATA/RAID? I'm a little unclear on that as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MpG

You know your budget best, but for even mild overclocking, you should seriously consider something beyond the stock heatsink. No matter how well a case cools, the heatsink is responsible for pulling the heat out of the processor in the first place. Even a $20-30 budget heatsink will do a far better job of cooling than the stock coolers, and they'll probably do it with less noise.

Also, if your goal is 3.6Ghz, your memeory will be fine. But if you think you might want to go beyond that, you might consider speccing out some faster memory (PC-8000 or 8500), just to ensure that your memory doesn't wind up holding you back. These days, even 4GB kits are still pretty cheap.

darius_m5

I'd suggest a better case. The 120mm fans on my NZXT Apollo were very weak (both the black and led fans). I'm pretty sure you'll get the same weak fans.
Also, get a nice hsf for the e8400. The stock hsf isn't meant for OCing.

Lithotech

Agreed on all.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is dirt cheap and will take tons of temp off compared to the stock cooler. It begins to falter under load at higher overclocks. It is quiet, and nearly silent when using Asus Q-fan with it.

Have a look at the new Cooler Master HAF case. If it isn't fugly to you, it has some nice features and is ginormous inside. On the outside, it is still smaller than a Cosmos, but inside it seems way bigger.

New review on it here:

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/135/ARTICLE/4518/2008-09-22.html

exray

Thanks for the replies! I will indeed get an hsf even if it's a cheap one.

Still need some guidance for the rest.

Dwayne

Hi there, if you check my sig you will see I have most of your components (or you will have most of mine!) At any rate, I am running the CPU at 3.6 GHz, 400 MHz FSB with my memory at 1066 and I am folding 24 hrs a day with no hiccups. With my GPU and CPU folding 100% in the background my CPU temps are 51/43 with my OCZ Vendetta 2 / bolt through kit and MX-2 TIM. I have the VisionTek 4870 video card and it runs hot, but I am using Rivatuner to set my fan to 38% and with the GPU at 100% folding right now the GPU is at 52 C. I can hear the fan, but it is not terrible loud. I have the Antec 900 case that I modded by drilling 2 holes using a couple of hole-saws. Very easy to do and the results were great! My wife's computer is in a Cooler Master CM 690 and I didn't have to mod the case to run the cables clean. You can find my Worklogs and see the pics of both cases. I enjoyed reading lots of hint, and then got inspired by folks here with their excellent cable management.

You will be very happy with the machine I am sure. Buy it, build it and post pictures in the Worklog for us all to admire!

Latest posts