What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sennheiser HD 599 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 250 Ohm

Alex2602

Hey guys,

does anyone have compared these two headphones? I'm still searching for a good pair for gaming and there two are in my inner circle.

I would use them with a Soundblaster G6.

On twitch I see some players with Sennheiser's but not that many with Beyerdynamics. I do not think that the Sennheisers were sponsored and they use them as thei own preference.

Regards

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Been trying to find a 990 for ages, but it's important to note something: they are studio reference headphones. Aka no color, aka flat frequency response (or very near). The 990 is open air, which I find give better deep bass response and removes some excessive punch that too many headphones have. If you want punch though, try the 880 or 770 (semi open and closed, respectively). The Sennheiser's are a good headphone, but IMO they color the sound too much for recording work and also are a bit too punchy for recording.

In short, if sound accuracy and clarity is your goal, get Beyerdynamic.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well, first, the Beyer would need an amp. the SoundBlaster will not have enough power to run 250 ohm headphones. that said, if you wanted a proper headphone for gaming, you'd go for the Beyer DT 880 600 ohm, which also needs an amp...one like the Monolith Liquid Spark or Schiit Magni 3+.

and CM is a bit off...the 990's have more bass than the 880's, but because of that bass, the imaging is muddied, which the 880's don't suffer. however, the 880's are treble-centric, which is why you want a warm amp like the two mentioned, to take an edge off the peaks so your ears don't bleed. both the 990 and 880 have excellent soundstage. the 880's have superior imaging, which is what you want in gaming.

the 599's would work, but not the best. you would do better getting the HE-4xx off of Drop.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
and CM is a bit off
Cute. Everyone's ears and preferences are different, but I'll just say you're "off", Kay? What you call "superior imaging" I call a lack of deep bass and a 120-250hz range that is far too loud.

Also, @Alex2602, the SoundBlaster G6 can absolutely drive 250ohm headphones without a problem, is rated between 32 and 600, and SB isn't one to fudge their numbers. There is no need to change headphone amp. At all.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
well...the 770's are known to be more laid back...the 880 have peaky treble, but excellent imaging and the 990's are inbetween the two, more bass, more treble. they each fit niche's, but for gaming, with a warm amp, the 880 600 ohm are the way to go.

that said, if you want good audio but to keep things simple, perhaps look at the Cooler Master MH751 or 752. the 752 comes with a USB dongle to simplify connectivity.

Latest posts