What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Server Memory Monitoring

Izerous

Folding Team
Really long story short I inherited some stuff hosted on several windows machines and there is a slow memory leak on the OS layer & "Service host: Local System" with every single one of them which requires me to reboot them to free the memory back up. Until I get approval and time to test them all on newer versions I'd like a way to monitor the total system memory usage. I have CPU monitoring and crash reporting but no memory reporting and it would be nice to have a way to monitor that besides logging into the numerous machines.

Was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on lightweight software capable of doing this. Can't really spare significantly extra CPU/Memory usage with how these are loaded.

clshades

I'd be looking for a script instead of software. Probably lots of good ones out there others have written.

JD

Staff member
Performance Monitor/Resource Monitor should suffice? Should help you track down what's taking up all the memory too.

Izerous

Folding Team
Didn't poke around in resource monitor long enough to figure out if i could email myself in a low memory state. Having it open consumed all remaining available CPU power (over 60%) by itself. I did find some stuff that talks about mixing shell scripts with perfmon alerts to do what i'm after looks like i just need to plan it around downtime when more resources are availiable.

And the memory leak is in svchost figured that one out a while ago.

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
So going directly to performance monitor instead of resource monitor I was able to get around the CPU spike cause by resource monitor and set something up.

Set it up one on for now to make sure my triggers and such are accurate and wait for it to hit.