What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Server randomly shutting down

clshades

I haven't had to deal with anything like this in years. What's my next step to figuring out why the server keeps shutting itself down? Is there some sort of logging software within windows to track this? It's getting pretty annoying tbh.

lowfat

Staff member
Event Viewer, in Computer Management or Win+X. But if it is a hardware issue, it won't generally show anything except an unexpected shut down. You'd need to use memtest or whatever to determine a hardware issue.

anabioz

When you mention server shutdown, do you mean power-off? If so, could also be a power supply issue or a power bar issue.

lowfat

Staff member
A lot of times w/ a hardware issues Event Viewer will just list something like 'System had an unexpected shutdown' aka a reboot. If it just instantly reboots w/o a BSOD I'd think either PSU or mobo.

djbrad

Is there any ups used on that server ? If so, check the logs there also.

djbrad

If the ups died, it could send a false shutdown alert. Unplug the usb cable or disable / uninstall the network ups software.

If already done, maybe there's instability in the power and something in the server does not like it.

Is there another power outlet you can use? Can you bypass or change a power bar?

clshades

If the ups died, it could send a false shutdown alert. Unplug the usb cable or disable / uninstall the network ups software.

If already done, maybe there's instability in the power and something in the server does not like it.

Is there another power outlet you can use? Can you bypass or change a power bar?
its on a basic no network ups for the moment until the new one comes in

Latest posts

Twitter