What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Setting Static IP in Vista 64 not being saved

vintank

Website
www.kahnoleary.com
When I set a static IP in Vista Ultimate 64bit it doesn't seem to save it.
whenever I go back into it after setting it up (the same way for XP) the static ip is empty and same with the subnet mask.

really not sure what to do, as the port is opened on our router properly and the static ip is setup properly through the router as well it just won't let me assign it to this computer totally confused, if it keeps up I am going to install XP again.

misterd

Just get your router to assign the static IP via DHCP. Here's the lowdown. Vista (in your case) asks the router for an IP. Router sees the unique mac address of your network card and says here you are giving it an IP. You can tell the router to always give (your mac) the certain IP address that you want. It's the easiest way to do things. If you ever for some reason need to change that address or you get a new computer/nic+mac address you just update the mac and poof the new computer has the old address. Hope this helps. If you need more help just shout.

JD

Staff member
Yeah I've made DHCP Reservations on my router which lets you enter the computer's MAC address and the IP address and it works perfectly on all my Vista x64 and x86 machines.

Never tried manually setting the IP in Vista though.

misterd

Whoops - I didn't even look at the date of the post... lol.. Either way doing it on the router is better then doing on the system itself - that way it doesn't run into conflicts with another system (it could happen)

Twitter