What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Setting up Raid.. Does it matter what sata ports I use?

Yamcha

Hi Guys,

I'm a noob with Raid, haven't done it before, would like to give it ago, I have two identical sata hard drives, and I want to configure raid... My question is does it matter what sata ports I use??

BigDogg

Hi Guys,

I'm a noob with Raid, haven't done it before, would like to give it ago, I have two identical sata hard drives, and I want to configure raid... My question is does it matter what sata ports I use??
It shouldn't as long as they are on the same controller. On my Gigabyte UD5 there are white and blue sata ports. Blue for the JMicron controller and White for the Intel controller. Try putting them in Sata 0 and 1 or 1 and 2.

Yamcha

Anyone know if I can run raid with AHCI enabled ??

The reason I need AHCI enabled is because I run OSX as my primary OS.. I want the raid for Windows 7.. when I set it to AHCI instead of RAID It doesn't let me boot up into Windows.. gives an error..

Anyone know how I could get this working with AHCI??

gingerbee

ahci is enabled when in raid mode automatic that's why you can only choose ide,ahci or raid. fyi that's why it's the same drivers.
weather or not osx supports raid ahci is another question.

Yamcha

For some reason, when I choose RAID instead of AHCI I cannot boot into OSX =/ I'm guessing its a mobo related issue..

gingerbee

you have your osx setup in raid0 too?
1. which hd is osx installed too
2. if it's only installed on 1 hd then this is the reason it does not work. because your osx is not in raid0
3. if you want to setup a dual boot radi0 you'll have to back up all your data and start from fresh in raid0
4. this is where things become unclear with me I am not sure what type of dual boot you'll have to setup for OSX to work i don't use apple stuff at all.

p.s I forgot you'll need to get the raid OSX driver

Last edited:

MarshallX

keep im mind this onchip raid solution on desktop motherboards is software assisted. While the controller supports "hardware" raid, its software assisted. For complete OS independant youd need an actual raid controller.

Latest posts

Twitter