What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Shareware/Freeware gems

TopDogZero

GOM Player, good media player with built in codecs with option to use external, skins also available.
GOMlab.com - Play Any Video File, Any Time! The Best Media Player!

ffdshow, good codec with many advance features for video playback. I use this in conjunction with GOM set to use external codec.
FFDShow.info : Download latest FFDShow builds

IObit software has some good free programs for system maintenance and security.
IObit - Speed Up Slow Computer, Keep PC and Internet Secure, Freeware Download

Open Hardware Monitor almost identical to CPUID's HWMonitor Pro but free, I believe it was recommend on here before by lowfat in another post.
Open Hardware Monitor | CPU Temperature, Fan Speed, Voltages, Clocks and More

Unlocker allows you to unlock files in use for deleting etc in right click menu.
UNLOCKER 1.9.0 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

Folder Marker free version is available for changing colour or icon of folders in right click menu.
Change folder icon or color by one mouse click. Mark folders!

stoanee

Folding Team
Marketing info:

SafeMSI.exe is a tiny, portable, freeware application designed to let you uninstall programs in safe mode. When the computer is in safe mode, the Windows Installer service isn’t started so most programs can’t be uninstalled. Since technicians do a lot of work in safe mode and being unable to uninstall is a huge bother. It is also not possible to start the service manually, an error message will come up saying “Could not start the Windows Installer service on Local Computer. Error 1084: This service cannot be started in Safe Mode”. This tool will do a registry tweak so that Windows Installer is made a safe service and it will launch the Windows Installer service. The tool is meant to be used after you are already in safe mode, it is a tiny .exe that just needs to be double-clicked or run and it runs very quickly.

The website mentions that the tool is compatible with Windows NT, 2000, XP and Server 2000. Although it doesn’t mention it, it is also compatible with newer versions including Windows 7.
JSI Tip 9233. SafeMSI.exe freeware starts Windows Installer in Safe Mode.

Beep code viewer:
Beep Codes Viewer 0.0.1.168 | Rizonetech 2

stoanee

Folding Team
CDBurnerXP is a freeware, portable burning application designed to burn CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, and HD-DVDs. Its license offers free commercial use as well as private use.
Many free burning applications are short on features or turn out to only be annoying trials but CDBurnerXP is truly free and has plenty of features including creating/burning ISOs, audio CDs, bootable disks, Lightscribe integration, and command line options. It also doesn’t require admin privileges, unlike Nero.
There are two versions, the full-install version and a portable version. Despite what the name suggests, it works on a lot more than XP; supported Windows versions are 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/2008/Win7 (x86 / x64).

CDBurnerXP: Downloads

ipaine

Steam Mover - traynier.com

Have you run out of space on your C:\ drive?

Or do you have a super-fast SSD that is too small to hold all your steam games at the same time?

Then try Steam Mover.

Basically this will allow you to move not just steam apps, but really any program. I know this could come in handy as lots of us have SSD's now and they fill up really easy with the size of some games.

stoanee

Folding Team
I haven't used this but it looks promising.

Klinzmann.name

When reinstalling an operating system you have to search around for all the product keys for your software; a neat way to get it all in once place is with the License Crawler tool. Instead of manually searching through CD cases, emails, and instruction manuals for those keys, License Crawler searches the registry looking for anything that could be a product key. Any keys that are registered in there should be found, including the Windows key and keys for programs like Office, Nero, and VMWare. All Windows versions from 95 to 7 are supported. License Crawler is totally free, small and very portable. It doesn’t require an installation and it can scan a remote hard drive.
This can be especially handy in the computer repair shop because asking clients for product keys can be frustrating and time-consuming which slows down the repair process.

Dr_BenD_over

Fallen Folder
Not sure if I'd trust my tax data to a freeware app. Sounds like a perfect way to let somebody steal your identity. But if you're brave, here's one that apparently even does netfile...... (this was 2006, you'd have to keep checking for next year's version)

StudioTax Canadian Personal Income Tax Software

Be afraid... be very afraid...... :)

I've been using this for a few years now. 20 separate returns for free! it's better than the stuff they charge you $40 for at the store.

hfxmike

I'll have to find a way to automate creating links to all the stuff I use on a very regular basis, but in the meantime, I would advise anyone who uses popular free software to check out http://www.ninite.com.

I recently did a Win re-install and I went to the above site. It lists about 100 popular apps - you check off which ones you want - it creates an installer - you download and run that.

It installs every app you've checked with NO help. It doesn't install toolbars, it clicks "I agree"...etc. Beautiful. AND whenever you run the installer later, it will scan through all of those apps and download/install any that have been updated.

http://www.filehippo.com has way more apps, but isn't as automated.

A few freebies I love: TreeSize. Dropbox, Speccy, MozBackup, Filerfrog, Logmein....

Mike

eunoia

FREE AIDA64 on or around March 28th ONLY.

One of those giveaway sites. Recommending the software suite, not necessarily the giveaway site, so don't shoot the messenger if this doesn't pan out.

See countdown for when giveaway goes online in your area:

AIDA64 Extreme Edition 1.85

Thanks to RFD Rafyel.

Alpine

System Ninja

INFO:

System Ninja is a fast, powerful and effective system optimization solution for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. It’s designed to quickly remove junk files, improve system speed and help fix problems.

Powerful Junk Cleaner
System Ninja’s file scanning engine removes junk files from your computer. It performs a heuristic analysis of every file, identifying what doesn’t belong.
100% Freeware, 100% Safe
System Ninja is provided absolutely free of charge, with no strings attached. It is also 100% free from Virus’s, Malware, Spyware and all that other unwanted junk. We do not package any toolbars with System Ninja, nor do we use it to display ads or popups.

System Ninja | SingularLabs

This thing have remove more than 500mg of crap after ccleaner on my system

Latest posts