What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Shaw gives all 150 and 300 customers free upgrade..a big one

Lpfan4ever

Well, the main issue with the Puma chipsets is apparently some serious spikes in ping, and packet loss, not whether or not they can give you a good result in doing a bandwidth test.
Oh I know, hence why it's a DSLReports test. The buffer bloat was horrible on my PUMA6 Cisco, and the ping range down is for unloaded - loaded ping. Loaded ping is where PUMA usually fails.

CTA

I got an email from LS tech

We are waiting on a ruling from the CRTC to mandate the change of service from 150 to 300 as per Shaw's advertisement to be done completely across the board, including our customers.
So I assume only shaw's promotion.

edit: And captain vortex you are very very lucky..

Last edited:

Shadowmeph

Oh I know, hence why it's a DSLReports test. The buffer bloat was horrible on my PUMA6 Cisco, and the ping range down is for unloaded - loaded ping. Loaded ping is where PUMA usually fails.
which test is the buffer bloat test on DSL reports?

Cptn Vortex

So how does THAT happen!? :shok: I read about this sort of thing every once in a while, where someone gets some sweetheart deal from Shaw, whereas most people, including those of us that have been LONG TIME customers, usually get nothing but increases..... seems to be nothing more than luck of the draw with whatever CSR you get on the phone or live chat. :blarg:
Well, first step I checked out what offers Telus had for new customers. At the time, it was their 80MB plan or whatever for $50/mo for first 6mo plus a $300 prepaid visa. Not too bad. So I called Shaw and asked if they could do something similar since I'd been a shaw customer since 2008. I would have been happy to take the 75MB plan but for whatever reason they gave me the 150. Also the new gateway/router is a beast (XB6). I have always liked shaw, in all my years I had nearly no un-planned outages in all the places I've lived. Needless to say I guess they've got me for quite a long time unless they find some way to royally mess up!

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Looks like Telus is fighting back. They've opened up 950/750 and 750/750 plans. I haven't done the math competitively yet for new signups, bud did see on reddit someone said it was ~$100 over the two years.

Time to call back and see if they'll do anything for retention!

Edit: 30 min on hold...I guess they're getting a lot of call ins about this. The rep was on the ball with answers, short and sweet conversation. I'm now paying $70/mo for their 750/750 plan. She did offer me the 950, but I didn't really want to increase my price. A free upgrade from 150/150 to 750/750 is fine by me. :punk:

Last edited:

Gman109

Nice - I knew Telus would hit back, just not that hard, wow. 150/150 to 750/750 for the same price, that's pretty much unprecedented until now in Western Canada, at least for home retail plans. When I move back to our Calgary place in the new year I'm definitely going to be calling Telus and getting that or maybe the 950. Even the 750/750 is closely approaching the gigabit syncro connections you can get in some places near our California condo.

$70 for 750/750 is a much better deal IMO than Shaw's similarly priced plan (in fact Shaw's is more$) for 150(now 300) considering that upload. My only question would be is the cap unlimited (I hope it is with Telus, or that there is an option to pay for unlimited at least).

Is your plan uncapped Sagath now?

edit - just got off the phone with Telus, they'll give me the 750 pricing on the 950 when I reconnect, so for the last 18 months it'll be $95/month, while Shaw's 600/20 is $105 for the last 18, which from what I've read can be gotten on a new connex for about $85. No comparison here, Telus is way out in front IMO again now. Should mention that this was for unlimited cap with Telus as well, but I did have to ask for it as I lost my grandfathered unlimited when we disconnected when we rented our Calgary place. 1 tb cap is ridic on any of these plans, I could bust through that in a few days with just 2 or 3 4k tvs going and downloading a bunch of gaming crap.

Good times for the ISP consumer in Western Canada, at last. I'll be surprised if Sasktel can match Telus' pricing, I'll be happy if they do for our Sk connection, but I doubt they can afford it, they are always a bit of a rip off IMO compared to Telus for similar service, for everything from Cell to TV to net.

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

That's damn nice for people who get the option for fibre from Telus, and I'm not surprised one bit that they're fighting back. However Telus still only can offer the 150/30 in my area sadly.

Arinoth

Staff member
They don't seem to care about being as competitive pricing wise out this way. The cheapest 'price lock' deal I could get for a 500/500 from Bell Aliant is/was 110/month+tax