What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

should i be concerned?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
so i upgraded my cooling to a arctic 280 aio but up removing the deepcool assassin 3 i noticed something attached to the bottom of the cooler when i removed it....

was my 5950x it came out with the cooler. no bins were bent no damaged to socket. in all my years iv never seen this, i know i clamped it down as i did a test wiggle to make sure it was in.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
did a quick search found if the paste used bonds tightly then it could happen what i can do in future is if i continue to use TG Extreme i needto warm it up a bit then remove it.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, this was fairly common back in the day. Not only is it a good idea to remove the heatsink "warm", it's also a good idea to rotate the HSF a bit when removing it.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
thank you guys im glad im still youngish or these amd quirks would prob wreak havoc on me lol. ill keep these in my notes as to not have a heart attack in future.

1st. goop on my 5900x pins
2nd. pulling my 5950x outa socket

feels like im a noob again lol ill take these as learning moments. and try not to repeat them in future.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... it only seems to happen when we're dealing with expensive procs.... :)

Skymtl bent some pins on a threadripper motherboard socket.... :)

Shadowmeph

so i upgraded my cooling to a arctic 280 aio but up removing the deepcool assassin 3 i noticed something attached to the bottom of the cooler when i removed it....

was my 5950x it came out with the cooler. no bins were bent no damaged to socket. in all my years iv never seen this, i know i clamped it down as i did a test wiggle to make sure it was in.
I take it you are referring to a AMD cpu , I have done this a fair amount of times the cpu somehow pulls past or unlocks the CPU locking thing and there was once where a pin or two actually bent I panicked came on here and was told by a few people to just use a pwn that has a small opening to straight the pins out I never was good at that kind of delicate but was able to straighten them out so they aligned enough to use a tiny bit of force to set the CPU . I have never had any issues the CPU frying though. so long story short if the pins are not bent just clean it up put it back in

Latest posts

Twitter