What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

should i be concerned?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
i have those asus sage boards in for repair in states i bought entire socket 2066 replacements lol hoping they can be saved.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I've done it a few times myself when I started using IC Diamond. Warm is best, or if there is room I would put a plastic Spudger (like you use for Laptops) inbetween.

-ST

gingerbee

I think anyone who has used AMD chips has done this, funning thing is I don't remember doing it on old intel when they had pins, I wonder if it is more common now with the larger IHS the chips have.

Ya always got to remember to heat the CPU up a little bit and twist off the heatsinks to not bring the CPU with it lol

bassnut

A tip for the future before removing a cooler or water block run prime or something similar for a couple min this will soften the pate and twist to remove as mentioned.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Yeah was thinking doing a simple stress test for a few mins would prob work instead of trying from a cold start. Computer sits off sometimes 24-48 hrs before I can make it back to using it I think when the new 420 arctic arrives I'll switch it up put the 8 GT fans infront and the 6 140mm fans uptop.

As you can see it's a lil too tight for my liking plus I can finally get to sleeving the GT fans.

Attachments

• 20210618_160143.jpg
    20210618_160143.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 9

Izerous

Folding Team
Others have said heat and twist which are also good suggestions however there is one that I have not seen yet. Crappy thermal pastes... there are a bunch of thermal pastes out there which are a glorified glue more than a thermal paste not being careful about how much you apply can also change the risk of this happening.

Edit: if you brought that down one slot there would be a touch more slack int he lines

Shadowarez

Folding Team
yeah with this stuff TG Extreme i though a small amount was enough but it certainly spreads out i have to use even smaller amount then say Noctua NH, Arctic MX,

Cannon Fodder

I'd argue that bent socket pins are harder to repair than bent processor pins.

No argument from me on that one, because I know that to be true, from 1st hand experience..... unfortunately.....

I think anyone who has used AMD chips has done this, funning thing is I don't remember doing it on old intel when they had pins,

I had that happen 2 or 3 times, back when I was using P4 on Socket 478, and a few family members were too..... it's definitely disconcerting, but once you realize what's happened, and see that all the pins are still intact, it's not that big a deal.

gingerbee

Ya I kinda figured but I just think its odd more people don't remember those days or are some of us just getting old lol

socket pins are harder but it really something I would like to avoid pretty much all the time 😜🤦‍♂️

Latest posts

Twitter