What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

should I be worried / bothered by 'trackers'?

JD

Staff member
Depends, it's mostly for advertising purposes I'd say, that's why you get "targeted" ads after you search something.

The new Edge browser has an option to disable the tracking cookies for you built in, or you can use something like Brave (also Chromium based). Most ad-blocking extensions include support for blocking tracking too.

You can also visit this site to purposefully set cookies to exclude you from some data collection: https://optout.aboutads.info/?c=2&lang=EN

sswilson

Staff member
At one point there was a site that ran you through 1000+ sites to confuse the trackers....

Firefox has "enhanced tracking protection" but I'm not sure how effective it is.

clshades

Well, if you phone is tracking your stuff with cookies it can sync with chrome on the personal computer too. My wife has been getting ads for shit I've been shopping around for. What I don't like is most sites mobile sites don't allow you to continue without cookies accepted.

Shadowmeph

I Do thje same I run ccleaner allot and even after doing so so many sites have other sites attached ( not worded properly there ) and say if I go to the weather channel to see upcoming weather there is a adchoice that shows adds from places along the page where I have been. I did notice that now when I use the free VPN in the opera browser that on facebook when I am on it occasionally it will show people I may know but it shows people from the general area of the VPN so Asia.

gingerbee

its kinda just part of the modern web I like most just try to run CCleaner quite a bit. nice to know opera has a free VPN for those that want it thanks shadow