What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

should i buy these off ebay? (for the hell of it)

go flames go

this guy on ebay has 5 36gb raptors on ebay for around 25 bucks each. should i pick these up and make a huge raid 0?:haha::biggrin: so tempted.... hm..

CMetaphor

Quadfather
For $125 youre better off getting two new 500Gb drives at $60 apiece (or less), short stroking each to 50Gb then putting in Raid 0 = 100Gb and ill bet its far faster than 5 36Gb Raptors, hehe.

sswilson

Staff member
What would you run them off of? Aren't those 36G raptors IDE?

That said.... I might be tempted to drop $125 on them just for shits and giggles..... :)

Thund3rball

What would you run them off of? Aren't those 36G raptors IDE?

That said.... I might be tempted to drop $125 on them just for shits and giggles..... :)

I'll give you shits and giggles for $125, you can EMT me and I'll express post to you. :)

attonbitusira

I recently bought a single 36gb raptor to use as an OS drive. WAY faster than my 80gb sata drive. Max read/write speeds are nowhere near say, a caviar black, but I'm not paying for space or write speed. It's the access times that make this puppy so fast. I liked it so much I bought the 150gb raptor. Coming any day now...

maltonfolk

I recently bought a single 36gb raptor to use as an OS drive. WAY faster than my 80gb sata drive. Max read/write speeds are nowhere near say, a caviar black, but I'm not paying for space or write speed. It's the access times that make this puppy so fast. I liked it so much I bought the 150gb raptor. Coming any day now...

MMMM. Maybey not. 2x36GB Raptor's in a RAID 0 do beat my 640GB Drive

Transfer
Caviar Raptors
Min 59.2 77.8
Max 118 123
Avg 95 104

Access 11.9 8.4
Burst 111 98

dataxpert

Banned
Sorry with all the disturbance I forgot that post, and some more explanation about SSD ( old story between Flame and me )

Honestly Flames , I will not purchase HD on Ebay. Those drive are may be 3,4 and 5 years old. I have here a WS with a real Adaptec raid controller and faster than raptor cheetah drive, I regret so much that buy. I realize fast and costly than the specs chart you see on raid and the reality are completely different. Of course it’s depend on the usage, my computer booth in half the time on another one, but what is the use, it on 24/24… I don’t make video editing. And I see no improve in my cad too, since I don’t make rending , so in my case wrong choice.. still I look at those SSD closer every day, but since I spent so much in scii and so disappointed, I’m not yet ready for the expensive plunge on SSD , may be now you understand more my view on SSD.. it’s not that it’s not good, I just don’t want to commit the same error twice

hmmm im so tempted..... how fast would u think theys will be

Latest posts