What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Should I buy this 4k 32" monitor?

Coach

So tempted at that price. Sanity check before I pull the trigger. I know it is not the best at anything but for a cheap display that will not game much.... should be ok?

Lysrin

There seem to be so many monitor options these days it's hard to know what you "should" buy. But that looks like a decent monitor to me for the price. Seems to tick a lot of boxes. 60Hz, so not high refresh rate, but you said "will not game much". But really, combined with FreeSync it'd be fine for a lot of gaming. If you're playing games at 4K we all know what's required to get over 60fps anyway.

Only thing I would suggest is if you are planning to run at 4K, see if you could see a 4K 32" in person for text size etc. That might be nice before you purchase. I personally think that 32" would be fine for 4K for most tasks without scaling, but those things are nice to see for yourself in person. I'm running 34" inch ultrawide at 3440x1440, so less that 4K, but I think at 4K on a 4:3 32" the text size would be similar and I have no issues.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I always go to RTINGS and check out the reviews. They're kinda the #1 place right now for finding this stuff.

Searching with the BB naming term (seriously, who thinks this shit up?) brings up this monitor?
1603114264637.png

Seems like this might be the 'new' 4k variant of the Nitro lineup mentioned in the review.

I'm not sure if I'm being helpful or confusing.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Heres another review;

That LG they mention in that review says that its FreeSync does work with NVIDIA as GSync Compatible so that is nice to know up front if you have an NVIDIA card and not AMD. They seem to imply the Acer will work with NVIDIA, but it isn't GSync certified.

I still don't think the Acer is a bad option for the price, the LG is certainly worth checking out though. I'm not having much luck finding it for sale in the usual spots (newegg, amazon, etc.)

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
A lot of the 'not gysnc compatible' monitors work just find with AMD, they just havnt been run through the battery of tests nVidia uses to certify them officially.

Lysrin

A lot of the 'not gysnc compatible' monitors work just find with AMD, they just havnt been run through the battery of tests nVidia uses to certify them officially.
You mean work just fine with NVIDIA?

Yes, that is what I've read too. Although I could see that having a review state a FreeSync monitor does for sure work with NVIDIA would reduce that risk.

Of course that feature may not matter to Coach at all!

Coach

I want to point out that those review are not about the specific one I linked to. Perhaps they use the same panel I do not know.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Heres another review;

Holy crap. There are at least 3 'varieties' of this model monitor...

BBMIIPRX
WMIIPRX
ABMIIPX

Models dont even mean model anymore...

JD

Staff member
I think Acer is the worst company for model numbers... I'm pretty sure even the Preadator X34 had 2 "revisions", one with the old 60Hz-native panel and another with the 100Hz-native panel, so it's not like you can even assume that the base product name/model means it's the same panel across the board.

I guess it let's them sell off all their stock to less knowledgeable consumers. Might also prevent people from price matching between retailers too (Costco does this with some TV model numbers I believe).

Anyways, just looking at the Newegg page alone, it looks decent for the price. My only question to you would be are you okay using display scaling to make text readable? 4K @ 32" might be a little tricky to read 10pt fonts at 100% comfortably.

Latest posts