What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Should I Buy This PC From My Friend? ~$900CAD for Ryzen 2600 + X470 + 32GB RAM

geokilla

PCPartPicker Part List

My friend is looking to sell his PC, fully built, for about $900CAD. Seems the only weak point is the motherboard? It appears to be a budget X470 motherboard with average VRM phases which means it may not turbo or overclock as well as say a MSI B450 Tomahawk? Probably wouldn't play nice with a Ryzen 7 3700X or Zen 3 either? Looking to use it for productivity work like Photoshop and video editing.

I put together a similar build, changing just the motherboard to the MSI B450 Tomahawk and PSU to a Corsair TXM 550 and grand total is $1,080 + tax. If I change it to a NVIDIA GTX1650, it's $1,090 + tax. That's $1,220 after taxes compared to $900. Keep in mind PCPartPicker doesn't have prices available for his motherboard and PSU so I'd have to substitute if I build a new PC from scratch myself.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

well...new you have to pay almost $400 more...but then you do have warranty on all your parts and you have a customzied build to your preferences.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Do you need the machine now?

Its a lot of money for components that are going to be 3 generations old this fall.

JD

Staff member
Agreed, price seems a little high for what it is and as you mentioned, some iffy choices. Pretty much all the parts are on the "value" end of the spectrum.

But I mean, if your friend is in a hard spot right now and you're wanting to help him out, it's not a horrible setup. If this is to upgrade your 3570k, then it's still a pretty big step up.

That being said though, I think you can get better things from Lenovo/Dell/etc when they have sales for $900. However, that's a pre-built vs a custom-built PC.

geokilla

Do you need the machine now?

Its a lot of money for components that are going to be 3 generations old this fall.
Agreed, price seems a little high for what it is and as you mentioned, some iffy choices. Pretty much all the parts are on the "value" end of the spectrum.

But I mean, if your friend is in a hard spot right now and you're wanting to help him out, it's not a horrible setup. If this is to upgrade your 3570k, then it's still a pretty big step up.

That being said though, I think you can get better things from Lenovo/Dell/etc when they have sales for $900. However, that's a pre-built vs a custom-built PC.
It's actually for a friend and she's looking to spend about $800 to $900. I can't think of a better build for about this price.

moocow

I paid $170 for a similar Asus X470 motherboard and it was shipped from Toronto to Vancouver. So that board should be worth about $140 to $150 range. Take about 15% off from PC Part Picker prices and it seem a bit better. The RX570 8GB is overpriced since the RX580 was selling for that 2 months back. This could be an inventory / COVID issue that's driving the prices up.

geokilla

More cores for video editing. I bet the new APUs would own this thing.
Question is when are they going to be released? And I don't think the APUs would be able to handle some gaming. She's wanted to buy in May but held it off due to COVID. It's now mid July and she can't wait much longer as her laptop is holding up her productivity.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
~October is the rumour for AMD's lineup, with GPU's around the same time.

I think you could build a pritty good system for close to the same price. The 2600 isnt really a great processor at ~200. The 3300x is arguably better. I built a pritty sweet setup with a 2060 KO, B450 & 3300x for 1500 with taxes & shipping just recently, and I splurged on things like PSU/mobo/Case & a 1TB SSD.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I'll chime in as well to say that it seems a bit pricey for used hardware. It might not be teri-bad if this were a case of "I just built this 2 months ago but need to sell it" but that doesn't sound like what's going on....

Personally... I wouldn't pay more than 10-15% under pre-tax value for "almost new" stuff (as in new within the last couple of months) and no more than 25-30% pre-tax value for "not new but current" hardware.