What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Should I get the Intel X25-V 40GB SSD?

lsquare

I've been thinking about getting an SSD for a while now, but I can't justify a purchase until now. I'm currently running a dual drive configuration with my 150GB Velociraptor as my boot drive / OS drive. I'm tempted to go with the Intel SSD for the speed, but I'm not sure if the benefits are worth it because the write speed on that drive is crap relative to the other higher end SSDs. The question here is despite the lackluster write speed of the Intel SSD, is it still faster than the Velociraptor? Of course, if I get the OCZ 60GB Vertex Drive or even the Intel 80GB, then problem solve, but it's just too expensive for a storage solution. My plan is if the 40GB drive is fast enough to do what I need it to do, then I'll get that and later in the year, get a larger SSD, then move the Intel 40GB drive to my laptop. So is it worth getting the drive now or I should wait until Q4 2010 before upgrading?

Also, does the Intel 40GB SSD support Trim under Windows 7?

gingerbee

the write speeds on the 40gb intel are great there just not high 40mb/s even in the 4 k's is amazing this will not make the drive feel slow at all. bench mark how wel your v-rator does on writes it won't be better across the board. if you want an ssd then this is a good choice.