What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Should I RMA my rx 480

Shadowmeph

I posting this same thing on the AMD forums but not sure if I will get any answers so I will repost here
My system specs are i5 2500k 16 Gb ram Asrock z77 extreme 3 mother board windows 8.1 x64 , my system was OCed to 4.2 water cooled , I had since set my system to run at default so no OC now. I bought an XFX rx 480 8Gb last Friday and installed it, uninstalled my other AMD drivers deleted the AMD folder ran a reg cleaner rebooted installed the newest Drivers 16.7.3, rebooted I have a LCD 27" Samsung using as my main monitor and I also have a 50"led RCA TV I use for watching Videos. now here is the thing if I watch a video on my 50 inch the temperature will go all of the way up to 75c but my fan will not kick in, or what will happen after a few minutes of watching a video ( doesn't matter which video I run) my fan will jump to 100% and I cannot turn it down no matter what I do, I have to hard boot the system. another thing is if my system goes to sleep mode then I awake my system my GPU core will jump up to 100% usage even though my system is just Idling, I check t he task manager shows ( if I have Firefox web browser open) 51 process's and nothing is running that would draw that it shows cpu system idle at least 95%. at first I thought that it could be something to do with using XBMC Kodi to run my shows but that wouldn't cause the waking my system up from sleep state GPU core running at 100%. I have tried various things from different settings in the global wattman still no difference. uninstalled deleted the AMD folder reinstalled the drivers still no difference. this morning I repaired the un install Deleted folder reinstall drivers and then fired up XBMC Kodi played a video that made my card go stupid last night and this time the card ran at 77c but the fan speed was at Idle.
I am debating at either RMAing this card or uninstalling this card reinstalling my older card and just waiting ( hoping ) for a new driver but then again I am not sure it it is a driver issue

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Holy wall of text Batman ;p a few paragraphs will make digesting this much easier for my old fart brain.

Doesn't that driver sweeper work for Intel Nvidia AMD drivers? That would do far better job clearing any gunk. But do it within safe mode.

Shadowmeph

Ok so finally I get a card had to upgrade from my older one because they didn't get one in stock . RX 480 GTR 8GB D5 1288M xxx LED, I install it go through the whole uninstalling using CCleaner to get rid of the old reg reboot reinstall new Drivers reboot. didn't feel like testing it out, so I watch a few videos non HD quality and the card fans starts to ramp out a it then stops ramping, I continue to watch videos while watching the temp of the card card reaches around 56c fans ramp up again then stop ramping , I am thinking ok that is strange my old radeon never did that . continue to watch videos system crashes. Grrr
today I have to work but tonight if this happens again I am going to RMA this card and try to get my money back and maybe go Nvidia because this is getting ridiculous

Bond007

That is irritating. Maybe a custom fan profile in afterburner to fix it up before you go through all that trouble...I pretty much always run a custom profile for gpu fans. If that doesn't work I agree it's time to mix it up. Maybe even a different gpu brand for the rd 480 (msi/Asus.

Vittra

Erratic fan control is typically related to driver corruption. I've helped a couple of people with these issues on RX480s so far. While I can't guarantee it will work for you, and I know you've used a particular method to try and clear out old files, you can try this to see if it helps.

Download the latest AMD drivers and have them ready for step 5 - sounds like you've already done this so it's not listed as a step.

1) Uninstall AMD drivers
2) Reboot to safe mode
3) Run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and wipe out AMD drivers - do NOT allow it to reboot or shut down
4) You are still in safe mode - uninstall the Generic VGA adapter from device manager if it is present
5) Reboot to normal mode and install fresh copy of latest AMD drivers immediately.

Shadowmeph

That is irritating. Maybe a custom fan profile in afterburner to fix it up before you go through all that trouble...I pretty much always run a custom profile for gpu fans. If that doesn't work I agree it's time to mix it up. Maybe even a different gpu brand for the rd 480 (msi/Asus.
another strange this is I cannot manually set the fan using the global setting in the radeon settings.
Another funny thing is that I can run the Heaven mark on extreme full screen and the fan doesn't ramp up . but if I am watching Videos on my 50" LED TV it ramps up even with temperatures in the mid 50s

Last edited:

Bond007

Shadowmeph

I did that both times and the first time I even installed an new fresh OS for the first RX 480 I had .I am not going to do that again. I was watching a video the card started ramping up and then stopping so I watched the temperature it ws 50c ok no problem then the fan didn't turn back on I sat there and watched the card go up to around 80 c I opened the side cover the fans were not spinning , I rebooted fan started spinning normal again ran the heaven mark test full screen max setting for repeatedly on my main monitor not even a hick up fan didn't even ramp up it speed up a bit like it should . fired up Kodi Media player watched a few old TV episodes I have fan started to ramp up then it just stayed at 100% turned off kodi the fan stayed at 100% I waited for about 5 mins rebooted everything want back to normal. I then tried different plugins instead of the HDMI I tried all of the other display plugins and cables. I am thinking that the RX 480 just doesn't like my system lol I had something simiar happen to a friend of mine that had a 1980 grand prix we did an engine swap dropped in a stroked out 350 and then thing just gave him huge problems he got pissed off sold it to me for dirt cheap and the thing ran perfect for me I had that car for years it was like the car just didn't like him lol. I have a feeling something like that is happening to me. I tried to RMA the original card they couldn't get a replacement so they offered me to either get my money back or upgrade and pay a little more, I took the upgrade but am having almost exactly the same issues

Latest posts