What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Should I try Replacing this Laptops HDD

WiseWilson

Was not sure weather to post this here or the mobile area if in wrong area sorry.

First off this is an Acer Aspire 5742-6602 i5-480m with intel hd graphics

I recently used a linux recovery dvd to yank off all the personal information she had not backed up.
Anyway got most of the info off and she left me the computer as it was useless to her and she had a replacement already.

I formated it reinstalled win 7 and discoverd it had a fair ammount of lag. Went to run hdd regen and it told me I needed to be in ide mode not achi.

The Bios suddenly was password protected, luckly popping the cmos battery reset it.

Started HDD regen and went to bed, checking it 15 hours later discovered it was 7% done and it had found 5000 errors, 3000 were fixed 2000 were not. As I am not going to wait a month for the scan to finish I am deciding the hdd is done.

The question is should I try to grab a <$40 hdd this black Friday C-Monday ? Or does the bios suddenly asking for a password mean there is probably more damaged hardware and I should just forget about it.

Bond007

That should still be a decent laptop. I think it would be worth the small risk of it being a bigger issue, and replace the HDD.

WiseWilson

Well a faulty hdd seemed to be the issue. Win 7 is installed and works great got a 7.8 rating for hdd in the exp mode, though only a 4.4 for graphics :sad:. Ah well should still be usefull battery is good can get 5-8 hours of light duty. Be a good travel device. Thanks for the advice all.

Latest posts

Twitter