What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Shows to watch?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Just looking for some show suggestions. Prefer intelligent shows, some comedy and definitely must be well-written. Here's what I currently watch:
(*= All-time favorites)

-Almost Human*
-Archer (although NOT a fan of the dreamland serieses)
-Babylon 5*
-Black Adder
-Black Sails*(Last season Not included)
-The Boys
-Dilbert
-Doom Patrol*
-The Expanse (have only watched some of S1 so far)
-Farscape*
-Futurama*
-Forever*
-Harvey Birdman
-Heroes
-House MD*
-The Invisible Man*
-Mandalorian
-The Orville (many seasons behind atm)
-Penny Dreadful (wasn't a fan of S4 though).
-Picard
-The Pretender
-Red Dwarf
-Rick & Morty*
-Spartacus
-ST:ENT
-ST:DS9*
-Stargate SG-1
-SG:U
-The Venture Brothers (haven't gotten past S4 cause the writing gets...odd)
-Westworld
-Xmen Animated series.

There's a bunch more, but that gives an idea I guess. Again: Intelligent, well-written, self-aware shows I enjoy the most. Be it cartoon or anime or SciFi or whatever. (Note: didn't include anime, but I do watch it as well).

Lemme know what suggestions you guys have, thanks!

Skippman

Oh god, Almost Human being canceled hit me right in the feels. Karl Urban is a personal fav of mine and the whole show was so brilliantly written. I honestly believe it was simply to smart for network television at the time and would have done amazingly well on something like Netflix.

I HIGHLYrecommend For All Mankind on Apple TV. It's worth buying one month of the channel just for that. Incredibly well researched hard Sci-Fi in the vein of The Martian and The Expanse about an alternate 1960's-1970's where loosing the race to the moon pushes America to do more and more with it's space program.

I'm going to assume the absence of FireFly from that list is an oversight given everything else you've listed.

A show that was phenomenal and had a rushed ending - due again to being to smart for network TV - was Jericho. Set in a small Kansas town it covers the immediate aftermath of a nuclear attack on several major American cities and the countries decent into anarchy. Lots of well thought out science and survival and enough intrigue to keep any fan of Bab5 entertained. There's some mellow drama in there for the sake of mellow drama but on the whole it was a good, solid first season that's somewhat ruined by a rushed "second season" that had to wrap up plot threads clearly intended for a multi season story.

I'm also a fan of a series called The Last Ship that deals with a lone US Navy warship that is searching for a cure to a world wide pandemic. Right now MIGHT be a bit close to home for watching it, but the first two seasons are fantastic and treat the US Navy and military forces in general with respect and show them to be both human and extremely competent at their jobs.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Thanks for the reply!

Yes Firefly is an oops because I was only using my file server for reference ideas, and not my DVDs and Blu-rays.

I have watched some Last Ship and will do so again. As well, I'll check out For All Mankind and Jericho, although I may have seen some of the latter before and didn't get into it at the time.

Almost Human... Sigh. When watched in the correct order it was a fantastic season. Sadly Fox cancels intelligent shows because most of they viewers are American idiots.
Firefly, Forever, Almost Human, and dozens of other shows were cancelled before their time for this reason, garbage network.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

moocow

Watching Star Trek Lower Decks right now. It's an okay show, bit more geared toward the childish side of things.

FreeKnight

If you liked the X-men animated series, the Spider-Man show from the same period was by the same animation group, so it might be worth a look.

If you've never watched anime, give Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a go. They're both really good and not too trope-y compared to the average Japanese series.

And obviously if you've never watched 'It's always sunny in Philadelphia' it's fucking hilarious. The first season or two are good, but once Danny Devito joins (late S2 or S3 maybe) it really gets hilarious.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@moocow
That's a but sad to hear about Lower Decks. I like some of R&M and many have told me it was similar, but if it's too childish I'm not sure how I'll like lot. I'll probably check it out regardless, so we'll see...

Shadowmeph

falling skys isnt to bad. Almost human IO forgot about that one but it doesn't surprise me they canceled it they seem to cancel all the good shows it might be because of contracts maybe actors asking for more I actually have been watching Supernatural it is good at times they used to film allot of it where I live or around the area it funny how young the character were when ty started I didnt realize it until the show the past clips but that show has run its course

CMetaphor

Quadfather
@FreeKnight I watch lots of anime, a longer list than the tv list Actually, so no need to worry there. But shows like always Sunny and community and the office never really clocked with me, not sure why.

@Shadowmeph
Falling skies I'll check out as well, for sure.

As for supernatural though.... It ended at season 6 in my book. The end lol

JD

Staff member
Pretty old now, but possibly Dollhouse? Fox definitely does a lot of sci-fi shows but never really keeps any...

Fringe might be worth checking out too.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Pretty old now, but possibly Dollhouse? Fox definitely does a lot of sci-fi shows but never really keeps any...

Fringe might be worth checking out too.

Dollhouse is a good call. Always liked Whedon's later work.

Fringe is also among my BDS and DVDs, but also a good call since I haven't rewatched it in ages. Thx for the reminder 👍

Latest posts