What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Shows to watch?

GregH

I'll check it out, but I'm skeptical. I very much Hate shows that purposefully misrepresent intelligent/educated/scientific people as horrible. Ex: TBBT. TBBT is an utter piece of garbage that wasn't cancelled soon enough. A show made for idiots to feel better about themselves by watching "intelligent" people act like pure shit to each other. It's completely intolerable, and I know many many people - engineers, IT people and scientists included - that cannot stand it for exactly that reason.

So if the the IT Crowd is similar... I won't be watching it, at all.
TBBT is hot garbage. The IT Crowd is actually intelligent.

Shadowmeph

Forgot to add Penny Dreadful, rewatching it now because I forgot how good it was.

And adding Orphan Black because I have no idea what I haven't seen it yet.

Edit:
Penny Dreadful, like Doom Patrol is what I would consider among the best acted shows I've ever seen. Not just stand out performances by one or two actors, but fantastic ones by most of the main cast of both.

Why do these shows not win many, many awards while utter garbage ones do? Oh well.
I liked the first one not the newest one penny dreadful

Skippman

TBBT is one of those shows that thinks it's WAY smarter than it is. It kinda satirizes geek culture but in a completely mean spirited way. Every episode I've seen has always seemed to involve the audience laughing AT the characters rather than WITH the characters. They try to dismiss this by being pretty accurate as far as things geeks tend to be into saying "Look! See! It's the stuff you like!" while missing the point that being mocked doesn't make anyone feel good. It takes itself WAY to seriously as the arbiter of geek culture.

The IT Crowd is funny in the way a lot of good classic British SitCom is funny (Not Going Out, Red Dwarf, etc) in that it embraces the surreal and doesn't take itself seriously. Yeah, Moss is a caricature of a nerd, but in a surreal way. (Fire extinguisher catches fire) "I'll just put you over here with the rest of the fire."

I agree that Chuck Lorre definitely thinks he's way smarter than he is. I think in some ways the success of 2 1/2 Men really fed his ego in a negative way. He and Charlie Sheen really seemed to deserve each other.

Another one for the list that isn't here is the reboot of Lost In Space. It's very well acted, the family drama seems believable, and the visual effects are fantastic. I will admit that any scene with Parker Posey makes my skin crawl. She's just so natural at playing someone devious and manipulative. If you're a space junkie it's definatly worth a couple episodes to see if it's in your wheel house.

Lysrin

Another one for the list that isn't here is the reboot of Lost In Space. It's very well acted, the family drama seems believable, and the visual effects are fantastic. I will admit that any scene with Parker Posey makes my skin crawl. She's just so natural at playing someone devious and manipulative. If you're a space junkie it's definatly worth a couple episodes to see if it's in your wheel house.

We watched both seasons of that as a family. Really liked it. And I agree about the visuals; better than a lot of movies!

Arinoth

Staff member
TBBT is hot garbage. The IT Crowd is actually intelligent.
The early seasons of TBBT wasn't that bad then it went soo many stream that it turned into quite crap at the end. I agree the IT Crowd is actually intelligent too.

If anyone likes the movies by Taika Waititi (Thor Ragnorok, Jojo Rabbit) then you'll enjoy both the movie and the tv series he was involved in called What they do in the shadows (the movie that preludes the tv series) and What we do in the shadows. It also has Matty Berry in it who is in IT Crowd.

Skippman

What We Do In The Shadows is amazing. The cast is great, the effects are good, and the humor is on point with anything The Office ever did.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Completely agreeing with everyone's opinions of TBBT. If you watch without the laugh track is just utter cringe. Supposedly "intelligent" people being utterly horrible to each other, and everyone laughing AT everyone else. I quite literally think that show increased the divide between those with scientific / technical professionals and those without. "Ha ha! Look at how awful the so-called 'smart' people treat each other! They suck!" Etc.

That's actually related to why I asked for suggestions here, on this forum, rather than elsewhere. We are not garbage people that treat each other like trash, and we can agree on what makes good/bad shows. 👍

Anyways!...

Definitely adding Lost in Space! Can't believe I forgot it because I'm a big fan of Toby Stephens (who also did Black Sails - which is excellent - btw).

I'll check out What They Do in the Shadows as well. Thanks for the continuing suggestions, all! 👍

Latest posts