What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SILENCE! - Best quiet fans for Rads?

dustin1706

Going to do a new build, not sure what platform. Debating a new 7700k vs a 6850k / 6900k. Maybe a Caselabs SMA8?, water cooled (4x120 or 4x140 each for CPU and GPU depending on case, Push fans) and maybe I'll try some hard lines this time around. I've got this thing against loud PCs, I want it to be sitting beside my desk and not be able to hear it. No fan noise, no coil whine. I'll accept HDD noise when transferring files and loading games begrudgingly. So, I've got a huge pile of fans that either came with cases, or I purchased and hated the acoustic characteristics of. The fans I currently use are some ~2012 Noctuas PWM'd to ~700 RPM and Gentle Typhoon AP-12s (800 RPM, but discontinued).

This said, I've got a few fans I'm considering and wondering if anyone has tried these or has any thoughts. The dB specs, generally aren't all that accurate as certain frequencies seem to be more irritating than others and some fans are prone to clicking noises when PWM'd low. I'm hoping someone has tried these fans and can provide a firsthand recommendation.

Probably one of these two:

Noctua NF-S12A PWM - Downside is that they have to be painted cuz they ugly and buy the coloured corner dampeners. Upside is that they are quiet and reliable.
BE Quiet Silent wings 3 - Seem ok , odd opening shape. Didn't care for the original silent wings.

Also considered:

Noctua NF-A14 PWM Industrial - They are black and you can just get the colored corners for them . Downside is that they are over $40 CAD, 2000 RPM max and still need to buy coloured dampeners.
Corsair SP120 PWM Quiet Edition - Look good, coloured rings can be easily painted, but even their own CFM and dB specs don't come close to the Noctuas or BE Quiet so I think not.

Of course, Thick, low TPI rads to go with the low RPM fans.

Noctua's don't look awful when painted, but I'd probably go for a more matte black frame if I go with them.

Painting%20fans%208_2.jpg

lowfat

Staff member
I'd stick w/ either EK Vardars, Gentle Typhoons, or Noiseblocker eLoop. In that order. Really no reason to consider other fans when it comes to radiators.

Bond007

No first hand experience, but a couple points for you.

The noctua you have painted are poor for rads due to low static pressure...I think Nf-a or f (if I remember right) are good.

Gentle typhoons were seemingly the fans to have, but I have heard good things about the antec sp.

Not sure on the others.

Jokester

Ek vardars have improved since the release. Was some coil whine from the first batches. And then gentle typhoons are always a excellent choice. Dazmode has them in all black. I have four PWM Darkside Gentle Typhoons in my rig and they are very reasonable noise/performance

Last edited:

Bartacus

Darkside Gentle Typhoons get my vote. But an accurate answer to your question depends on how you plan to control your fans. With the typhoons, you can either get PWM ones or regular 3-pin. If you plan on using a fan controller, you can throttle down the typhoons to a lower RPM than most fans, so that may be a factor for you. I have 12 PWM typhooons in my pedestal and they're quiet. Audible, but quiet.

lowfat

Staff member
I've never actually used the Vardars but I've heard many good things. I still have many AP-15s from like 5 years ago. Haven't had a single issue w/ any of them. They have the best bearings I've seen on a fan.

raziel1981

only familiar with scythe gentle typhoons 1850rpm and Noctua's recent 14cm, i'd dare say the noctua's are by far quieter and more powerful. Even in an all pull configuration to my rad I get 60+/-2 C on a 6700K with a phobya uc2 lt block

Jokester

only familiar with scythe gentle typhoons 1850rpm and Noctua's recent 14cm, i'd dare say the noctua's are by far quieter and more powerful. Even in an all pull configuration to my rad I get 60+/-2 C on a 6700K with a phobya uc2 lt block

What's your clock speed/voltage, what radiator, how many components in the loop?

Latest posts