What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Simple network isolation for smart stuff?

Izerous

Folding Team
Networking is not my strongest point but wouldn't a wireless subnet be closer to what your trying to achieve. Typically subnets cannot communicate with each other unless you let them

clshades

The smart plug is just turning lights on and off? I'm assuming it comes with an app? Is it Alexa voice controlled? Definately need a strong 2.4ghz, you may want to make sure the band isn't overloaded from neighbouring wifi routers too. I had to move mine off band 11 because of saturation.

Lysrin

Networking is not my strongest point but wouldn't a wireless subnet be closer to what your trying to achieve. Typically subnets cannot communicate with each other unless you let them
Yeah that is what I was trying to describe as one of the options. But without VLANs, I'm not sure I can serve different IP ranges. That is why I was wondering about running a WiFi network from the ASUS router as I could set its DHCP range separate from the Bell 3000. However, the issue there is I am using the ethernet ports for the wired PCs on that ASUS. So then they end up in the IP range from its DHCP server and not separate from the WiFi IP addresses. If I wasn't using it for LAN ports, I think that would be a valid option, assuming it can stay isolated from the IPs on the Bell 3000. Maybe that isn't possible and I'm talking in circles there... lol

As long as the guest network is isolated as @JD mentioned, that might be the easiest route.

The smart plug is just turning lights on and off? I'm assuming it comes with an app? Is it Alexa voice controlled? Definately need a strong 2.4ghz, you may want to make sure the band isn't overloaded from neighbouring wifi routers too. I had to move mine off band 11 because of saturation.
They are just likely turning lights on and off. Christmas ones for now, but perhaps something else after Christmas. And I think they do support Google Assistant and Alexa, but that wasn't something I was specifically looking for. They do come with an app for controlling them from both the AppStore and Google Play.

clshades

Yeah that is what I was trying to describe as one of the options. But without VLANs, I'm not sure I can serve different IP ranges. That is why I was wondering about running a WiFi network from the ASUS router as I could set its DHCP range separate from the Bell 3000. However, the issue there is I am using the ethernet ports for the wired PCs on that ASUS. So then they end up in the IP range from its DHCP server and not separate from the WiFi IP addresses. If I wasn't using it for LAN ports, I think that would be a valid option, assuming it can stay isolated from the IPs on the Bell 3000. Maybe that isn't possible and I'm talking in circles there... lol

As long as the guest network is isolated as @JD mentioned, that might be the easiest route.

They are just likely turning lights on and off. Christmas ones for now, but perhaps something else after Christmas. And I think they do support Google Assistant and Alexa, but that wasn't something I was specifically looking for. They do come with an app for controlling them from both the AppStore and Google Play.

I honestly wouldn't stress about it too much network wise. I use lutron switches for kitchen, dining room, and living room. These are the lights I need to find the remote, sit on the couch, get some chips etc. Once I'm sat, i don't wanna go find a light switch and wander in the dark. They are just on the global wifi.

Echo goodnight, movie time. Easy peasy.

I still need to lutron the office loft and front door area to really nail it all down. I do a few every year. Eventually the entire house will be voice command.

Izerous

Folding Team
Install dd wrt or tomatoe vlan and proper subnets would likely be supported then

Lysrin

Install dd wrt or tomatoe vlan and proper subnets would likely be supported then
I believe the Merlin firmware supports VLANs too so I could go that route as well if I wanted to make a bit more of a project out of it.

djbrad

I use Merlin firmware at home for my simple setup, it works very well.

However, there's no GUI for the vlan setup, you need to use command lines / scripts.

If I remember well, it was possible with ddwrt from the gui.

Last edited:

sbug206

Guest network is fine. It's essentially a vlan. It's seperated from your "home network". That's the whole point of the guest network. Guests can have internet access but don't see the rest of your network. A guest network isn't an open connection for everyone to use. It's just another SSID that's partitioned off.

djbrad

sbug206 is right. The guest network is isolated in another vlan, and you can create 2 or 3 of them.

Lysrin

Right, the guest network certainly seemed a simple option. I don't actually need the plugs to have access or be accessible from the Internet but as long as they are isolated from the home network, that's the key.

They appear to be delayed or lost in shipping... sooo when they get here I'll see what I can do. Thanks for all the help!