What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Simple Question

Scutum_Deus

I just saw a CPU with a comment saying the person who had bought it had several in his MOBO. I have not built a comp in awhile but just how many CPU's can you have now? and is that general or specific to MOBO's?

Jon_di2

I just saw a CPU with a comment saying the person who had bought it had several in his MOBO. I have not built a comp in awhile but just how many CPU's can you have now? and is that general or specific to MOBO's?
Most motherboards use 1 cpu. Motherboards that use more then 1 cpu are server motherboards.

MpG

Would have to see the comment to understand the context. There are motherboards with multiple CPU sockets, but they're almost always server-type. On the other hand, virtually all desktop processors incorporate multiple cores (usually either two or four), each core technically being an independent CPU onto itself. Or, another possibility is that the person keeps smoking their processors and buying new ones to replace them. Again, would have to see the context of the statement.

Scutum_Deus

it was on this CPU Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
Comment was "Overclockers Dream, This processor is sooooo easy to overclock. I have 2 of them in my Beastmaster Skulltrail system."

its listed under desktop CPU's as well.

Jon_di2

it was on this CPU Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
Comment was "Overclockers Dream, This processor is sooooo easy to overclock. I have 2 of them in my Beastmaster Skulltrail system."

its listed under desktop CPU's as well.
Skulltrail Motherboards are esentially modified server motherboards designed for a desktop system. It is for very high-end hardware enthusiasts who want 2 quad core cpus in a desktop system.

Here you can get an idea of what a mobo for a Skulltrail system looks like:
Intel Skulltrail Unleashed: Core 2 Extreme QX9775 x 2 - HotHardware

Scutum_Deus

I c. Thanks for the information, that system just seems like overkill, would anything ever tap that? hmm, anyway. again thanks. I am sure I will come up with a whole lot of stupid questions here in the next few months, gotta re-learn everything about comps.

Latest posts

Twitter