What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Single 120mm rad enough for a GTX 2070?

stlouis1

A friend of mine has me building him a new gaming rig. Technically it started a couple years ago when we picked up the chassis but it went on hold for a while but now he's back at it and dedicated to building it. I told him to just give me money and I'll build him something special. Back when we started talking about it he liked the idea of a compact build, and I liked the idea of the challenge of trying to take it further and watercool a tiny build because why not?

So I'm building a mini-ITX gaming rig in a Lian Li PC-Q10 chassis spoting an i5 9600KF and an EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black something rather edition as it's the only 2070 I can find that meets the max length of 270mm for the case (oh yeah she's tight). Alphacool has a waterblock compatible with the card too, so bonus

I found this pic on a toms hardware review that gives a good idea of what the chassis skeleton looks like

I am open to alternatives if anyone has any, but I'm thinking of using the Fractal Design Celsius 24 as a starting point for water cooling. It's closed loop, but expandable, and the pump integrated into the CPU block helps with the space restriction which the most important thing in my mind here.

I'm looking at the corsair SF-750 psu to save space, allowing me to move the PSU mount to the front of the chassis making room for a 240mm rad up top. But a single 240mm rad isn't going to be enough for the cpu and GPU, so this is where my question comes in. What are people's thoughts on adding a thick 120mm rad in the loop? This one would have to be mounted outside the case at the back, but there's ports for tubes there so I'm thinking this Darkside rad should work yeah?

stlouis1

I'm an idiot. Had I finished my coffee and googled the cards I would have come across these ones with the AIO cooler attached using a single 120mm rad...derp

sswilson

Staff member
Keep in mind that it's a sealed unit so you'll probably have to do a little bit of modding to the case tube holes if you want to mount the rad externally. (probably required in such a small space)

JD

Staff member
That's a pretty tight case, I think a decent 240mm radiator would suffice though to keep things within reason.

Hard tubing would likely help a lot here if you're into that. You could have much tighter bends and less overall diameter too. Any of the AIO units have really chunky and not-so-flexible tubing.

If you're going to hang a rad off the back, I'd go with a normal slim one so you don't need push/pull fans. That 70mm rad + a 25mm fan means you'll have almost 10cm hanging off the back of the case. Visually I don't think that's appealing and kind of ruins the small form factor.

stlouis1

JD, you might be right about a slimmer rad. I guess if the AIO card has a slim 120mm rad, having a slimmer rad along with the 240mm rad should be fine. I've got 4 120mm fans rated for higher static pressure to swap in place of whatever fans things ship with so I think the fans will be fine.

I'm still pondering on whether to use hard tubing or not. Like you said, it might be better for saving space, but the tighter space also leaves less room for maneuvering to fit things into their place to begin with. Still have some parts to get to build the system, let alone water cool it, so I'm playing it by ear until I reach that point.

I'm still curious what other options there might be other than the FD celsius 24. Even a standalone water block with an integrated pump might be a better way to go if there's options like that. Still have some research to do I guess

JD

Staff member
Swiftech used to make that Apogee Drive block+pump, but I'm not sure if they do anymore since it's out of stock on their site.

You could maybe look at those Bykski or Barrow distribution plates/blocks, while I don't believe they have one for this case specifically, you might be able to get one that would still fit up front. Might help with the tubing and pump/reservoir aspect.

stlouis1

I stumbled across the Apogee blocks earlier but yeah, they seem to be out of stock everywhere anyway.

I'm thinking the Fractal Celsius is still looking like a good candidate. I've figured about another 375-400 on top for a GPU block, rad, res, misc fittings and what not should be pretty complete, though it seems like such a small amount I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

rjbarker

Check out Lysrins WC's build Thread.....I think he pretty much jammed as much as you can in WC'ing gear into a pretty compact / tight case

stlouis1

you talking about this one? My build is far smaller.....

Latest posts

Twitter