What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SkyNet gets a little bit closer...

sswilson

Staff member
All that's left is scale to get your mech. :)

I have to say though... the idea of things like this being autonomous is pretty sketchy. It's one thing to have an airborne asset comparing images of very specific identifiable shapes/objects (like a tank and/or fighter) which would trigger a "kill" command with a match, it's a completely different kettle of fish when we're talking being able to discriminate between combatants and non-combatants.

Soultribunal

Staff member
EMP weapons are really going to become a thing soon, because of that.
ANd yeah, I would not feel okay with a autonomous armed anything, period.

-ST

sswilson

Staff member
EMP weapons are really going to become a thing soon, because of that.
ANd yeah, I would not feel okay with a autonomous armed anything, period.

-ST

They already exist albeit in very specific roles with very specific identifiable target parameters.

Torpedos have had autonomous underwater target seeking modes almost as long as we've had torpedos that aren't just "hit the target I'm pointing at", and I'm pretty sure there are some HARM systems in service that have cruise missile class range/time which will go into a station keeping mode while searching for enemy radar signals.

Aside from that, I don't know if any systems are in active use yet, but they've been developing weapons systems for the battlefield that use the same kind of station keeping search profile and would autonomously identify ground targets (think identifiable shapes like tanks, fighters, and/or mobile artillery/AA).

Soultribunal

Staff member
They already exist albeit in very specific roles with very specific identifiable target parameters.

Torpedos have had autonomous underwater target seeking modes almost as long as we've had torpedos that aren't just "hit the target I'm pointing at", and I'm pretty sure there are some HARM systems in service that have cruise missile class range/time which will go into a station keeping mode while searching for enemy radar signals.

Aside from that, I don't know if any systems are in active use yet, but they've been developing weapons systems for the battlefield that use the same kind of station keeping search profile and would autonomously identify ground targets (think identifiable shapes like tanks, fighters, and/or mobile artillery/AA).

I know some of the autonomous ones, Torps and yes there are HARM systems with programmable loiter functions.
I'm just worried about Anti-Personnel stuff.

-ST

Latest posts

Twitter