What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SLI board, mainly for Folding...

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I'm assessing what to do with that second GTX280. I was suggested to use it for folding - but I don't have a SLI board. I'd still need a better PSU (using a Corsair HX620W ATM) though, but that's not a problem.

Now for the board: which one would you guys suggest. Price to be below $250, air-cooled CPU and GPUs.

Remember this will be mainly for Folding. Any help is appreciated.

slntdth93

EVGA 750i FTW unless you want tri-sli whihc isnt that great
also more spacing between the two pci-e slots on the 750i ftw so better cooling for top gtx280

oksir

Banned
also more spacing between the two pci-e slots on the 750i ftw so better cooling for top gtx280
I second that. Cuz FTw got dual x16. Or u could get a used 680i for cheap

1Tanker

You can't Fold using SLI/X-Fire. So, he could use to different video-cards for Folding, and it won't matter. If using VISTA, you have to have a monitor connected to each video-card. With XP..one monitor for both cards is fine. :biggrin:

Spaceman-Spiff

Quoting from another forum:

You do not need SLI to run multiple nvidia GPUs for [email protected] Each card only needs to be seen as a video card adapter. There isn't much traffic, so a 4x PCI Express lane isn't a bottleneck either. Vista is more efficient than XP for the Nvidia GPU client. In XP, 1 GPU uses 1 core. In Vista, 1 GPU uses ~ 20% CPU. However for Vista, the card needs to be connected to a monitor or at least have a terminator to be detected.

Some 790FX mobos are good for folding since they contain 4 PCI-e slots. You can run a few lower-powered GPU like the 8800GT and finish lots of WUs.

enaberif

even tho u have bad experience with it, doesnt mean its bad...
EVERYONE has had a bad experience with the 680i. Its not call crap for a reason.. those boards unexpectedly die and take the memory controller and if your luck your memory will be fine.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Just like it has been mentioned: You don't need SLI to fold with a pair of Nvidia cards. You can use a Crossfire board or if you have dual ATI GPUs, you can use an SLI board.

Personally, I would recommend picking up a used X38 board. I am not sure if this still applies but the Nvidia folding client used to be very CPU limited.

Latest posts

Twitter