What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sliver Tape on back of LCD Panel

moocow

Anyone know what the official name of those silver / AL looking tape on the back of LCD panels? I'm planning to take apart an older iMac 27 inch 1440 panel because dust got in between the white light emitting part and the actual color LCD panel. The unit has silver tape around the edges as part of the seal. Youtube tutorial didn't mention the official name. Searching on Amazon is showing me duct repair silver tape which I have and it doesn't have the right feel to it (too thick and rigid).

sswilson

Staff member
Isn't it just aluminum tape? Or is there something different to it?

I think it's typically thinner than what you'd normally get at the hardware store. Maybe a dollar store brand would be better? :)

The other option would be to see if there was a model specific repair kit available on ebay .

I'm not suggesting that specific kit, just linking to the type of kit that might do the trick.

Izerous

Folding Team
I think the name of the tape that might work ok is mylar. It isn't quite as stiff as straight up aluminum tape an is usually easily accessible at a big box store/online.

moocow

No it's not those LCD display screen adhesive. Those goes around the edge of the frame. I'm talking about literally the back of the LCD panel. From more Google searching based on the key words from the responses here. I think it's this thing:

Izerous

Folding Team
No it's not those LCD display screen adhesive. Those goes around the edge of the frame. I'm talking about literally the back of the LCD panel. From more Google searching based on the key words from the responses here. I think it's this thing:

So I actually had it right mylar tape = polyester film tape just an issue of kleenex vs tissue paper. Didn't realize Mylar was a trademark thats all I have heard it called and already tossed out the last roll I had on hand.

"Some people use the word “mylar” generically to refer to polyester film or plastic sheet. In reality, Mylar® brand is a registered trademark"