What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Slowdowns

belgolas

Well I have done everything you guys have told me to do and I still get slowdowns in command and conquer generals. It also happens in Medieval 2 total war. I can play Half-Life 2 and Counter Strike Source at max settings at 1600 x 1200, 1920 x 1200 is a little laggy. So any more suggestions? Oh and when the game gets a slowdown in Generals the sound goes out completely too. M2TW sound keeps going except when the game freezes for a second.

sswilson

Staff member
What are you using for audio?

Could it be a hardware conflict or driver issue with your audio?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Aside from audio drivers (which have to be checked), which PSU are you running? The "crappy" 500W or the "old" 420W? I'm asking since I have the same P4 541 and it's power-hungry... like you would not believe.

Also, I had problems with sound dying too when my 541 was once overclocked too high. Is yours oc'ed too?

Have you run Memtest86+ to check the Ram?

Could it be that your GPU is overheating, creating lags in your games? Or asking too much from that 7600GT? It's a (relatively) old card - an old generation for those newer games.

John

belgolas

I am using soundblaster extreme music and the latest drivers. I am using the 500W PSU and have not overclocked at all. The 7600 GT is 43-44 degerees cesius at idle, 59-60 at load. Haven't Overclocked the 7600 GT but it is factory overclocked. Well I think I will try out Memtest86+. Memtest86+ showed 0 errors and 2 passes(ran test twice). Going to see if the sound card is the problem, but have family reuinion so can't look at it now.

Last edited:

belgolas

I don't think it is my soundcard because after uninstalling it it still had the problems. Could Hard drive cause the problem? Maybe my mobo is breaking? Maybe the GPU is dying? Don't know.

Gamashinoch

what settings work for one game might not work for another. In Generals is there a slider/button to enable/disable hardware or software audio? Or to enable/disable EAX or something? That might be the problem.

belgolas

:) :) :) :) Me very happy. Well there are no options in the game other than volume(shows how old it is). So you got me thinking. I went into me Creative Audio Consule and disabled EAX. Still slowdowns. :(. I then was trying different stuff and disabled CMSS-3D and that solved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! funny that that was one of the features I wanted but it was almost impossible to hear the difference with 5.1 speakers. Now for some Smilies. (hope there isn't a limit) :biggrin::clap::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::bananafunky::punk::punk::punk::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave::canadianwave:

Now I can spend my free time on games.

Latest posts